Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 days per week.
The In-House HWIO (Hardware Input / Output) Team is part of the Vehicle Intelligence Platform (VIP) Architecture & Core Enabler group, designing the functional partitioning of software and how vehicle modules communicate. The In-house HWIO team creates the low-level embedded software that is portable and scalable to various applications to align with GM’s strategy in Software Defined Vehicle (SDV). As part of the In-House HWIO Engineering group, you will have the opportunity to work with the state-of-the-art systems and designs using both AUTOSAR MCAL configuration tool and hand coding in C.
The software Quality Assurance Engineer in the HWIO team is an experienced QA professional who ensures that the HWIO software meets GM standards for functional, system, quality, performance, and architecture requirements by defining and maintaining sophisticated test plans, testing strategies & methodologies. With the built-in quality mindset, this role is to monitor the entire software development cycle and continuously improve the testing strategies and platforms to ensure the best quality of software is developed with minimal defects, to deliver the top-quality HWIO software.
We are looking for creative people with strong background in SW QA to join a highly capable team focused on leading-edge technology solution development.
- Drive efficiency in software testing by continuously looking for enhancement opportunities in testing strategies and better testing tools
- Define testing strategies, methods, and automation requirements based on software development schedule
- Diagnose issues found in testing related to the testing framework or the HWIO software
- Monitor all the testing activities and processes across multiple projects
- Develop high level test plans for the features & changes
- Produce accurate test effort estimates and quality metrics
- Conduct effective defect triages
- Review test plans and test cases written by others and provide feedback and assistance
- Ensure testing platforms are up to date to meet the needs
- Demonstrate a high level of interpersonal skill and communication skill to work effectively with others
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent Engineering degree
- 3+ years of experience in software quality assurance and testing
- Advanced understanding of test methodologies, test metric definition and process implementation
- Advanced level experience with test management tools
- Solid knowledge of testing embedded product software, software QA methodologies and tools
- Development/scripting skills in common language such as Python and Perl
- Experience in test automation development, practices, and methodologies
- Knowledge of embedded software principles, including multi-core architecture, memory management, and efficiency analysis
- Experience in debugging tools and software such as CANalyzer, Lauterbach, ETAS INCA and other general lab equipment
- Innovative and critical thinking to build positive change
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills, self-motivated, quick-thinker and able to work in a fast-paced work environment
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others
- M.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent Engineering degree
- 5+ years of experience in software quality assurance and testing
- Experience in driving a test automation strategy
- Experience in the development of automotive embedded systems software
- Experience with software testing for Freescale PowerPC, Renesas and ARM processors
- Knowledge in embedded systems electronics
- Experience in GM GIT Ecosystem toolset
- Experience in Scaled Agile Framework for enterprise (SAFe) process
- Experience with controls and software verification and validation
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.