GM’s Manufacturing Engineering team is driving the future of electric vehicle technology forward by developing world class manufacturing processes for our battery cells. We are looking to enhance our talent pool by adding a hands-on experienced Coating Engineer to lead the process development of electrode mixing and coatings projects for our battery programs. This position will help in the pursuit of making our manufacturing processes a competitive advantage.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide process engineering support in slurry mixing and roll-to-roll slot die coating of battery electrodes
- Provide battery plant start up assistance by utilizing cross functional experience to drive process quality improvement and process efficiency improvement
- Establish process baseline manufacturing parameters to allow integration of advanced materials into battery cell designs
- Provide technical guidance and hands-on support for all aspects of a coating operation including mixing, slurry delivery systems, conveyance, web treatment, coating, and drying
- Collect and analyze process and product data to drive decision making
- Develop and implement strategies for scale up of battery electrodes processes
- Understand the effects of mixing and coating process changes upon product quality attributes and performance
- Assist in the specification, procurement and qualification of slurry and coating equipment
- Work with Product Engineering to ensure manufacturing and design requirements are compatible
- Degree in chemical engineering, materials engineering, mechanical engineering (with strong materials background) or relevant degree
- 5+ years of experience in wet coating processes such as slot die, rod, gravure, and multilayer coating technologies as well as the corresponding slurry making and mixing processes
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of slurry formulation, mixing protocol and coating processes
- Relevant Master’s degree
- Hands-on experience with lithium-ion battery cell coatings
- Experience in the procurement of mixing, coating or processing equipment
- Statistical problem solving i.e., DFSS Black Belt or Red-X
Jobs may include:
- Travel to suppliers and manufacturing facilities – 25%
- Job geographical location – Warren, Michigan
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.