GM is an industry leader in manufacturing and Tool & Die. We have 11 stamping & tool and die shops in the US alone. We have our own dedicated die design and construction facility as well as a state-of-the-art tryout facility. We produce parts ranging from small inner components to large outer sheet metal such as body sides, doors, hoods, etc. Each of these requiring a high-quality level in dimensional and surface quality. We are pursuing the addition of tool and die group leaders to each of the 11 facilities to meet our future demand. We are seeking individuals with a technical knowledge that can plan, assist & lead a team of die makers in our sites that range from new die construction, new die tryout, die maintenance and continuous improvement as well as engineering changes during the life of a vehicle program. We range from die design through the entire production run of a vehicle. We have a vast range of facilities, equipment, and experience available that builds into great experiences and careers in the tool & die field. Safety is most important to us followed by people & quality in our facilities. Leading safety, people and quality of work is of high priority in the daily activity.
We are starting an Entry Level Tool & Die Group Leader Development Program to provide individuals with a strong and broad knowledge & experience in tool & die as well as to create a network of people to work with for years to come. This program is geared towards students graduating with a certificate, associates or bachelor’s degrees in a technical field, Machine Trades Technology, Tool & Die, Engineering or related fields. The program will range from 1-2 years concentrating on learning the skills needed to be an effective Tool & Die group leader. During this time travel will be required through our types of Tool & Die facilities for up to a year to complete learning in each of our Tool & Die areas. These experiences include: Die design, die construction, die tryout, formability, contiguous & regional stamping die maintenance. The training will consist of classroom in a central location & hands on training.
This program will provide a great learning experience and allow candidates to build tool and die knowledge to assist in a successful career at General Motors.
We are seeking 1 candidate for each of the locations below:
- Wentzville, MO
- Marion, IN
- Parma, OH
- Fairfax, KS
- Lead a group of UAW tool & die makers in their daily activities
- Ensure safe work practices are followed and continually improved
- Provide guidance on building, tryout & maintenance of dies
- Interact / lead quality improvement activities to provide high quality parts to the customer
- Interact & problem solve with maintenance trades and production teams to optimize throughput initiatives
- Support business plan deployment
- Implement best practices, lessons learned and support manufacturing innovations
- Operate tool machinery in a safe manner during the build process
- Associate, Bachelor Degree, or Technical Certification in Engineering, tool and die or related field
- Graduation date between December 2022 and Spring 2023
- Ability to work full time, 40 hours per week & willing to work overtime
- Effective communication skills both technical & personal
- Willingness to work in a plant environment
- Ability to learn the technical trade of tool & die
- Ability & desire to lead a team of tool & die makers
- Willing to work any shift
- Ability to travel for up to a year at the start of the program
- Tool & die experience is ideal but not required as we plan to provide this training through the track program
- Demonstrated leadership in field of study, extracurricular activities, or service organization
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Oral and written communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
- Prefer early career talent with typically less than 1 year of relevant work experience
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
The anticipated start date for this program is in June 2023.
Please only apply if you do not need sponsorship to work in the United States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.