Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week
The High Voltage Battery and Electrical System CAE Engineer will be responsible for building and implementing one dimensional electrical sub-system and component models for high voltage components like Batteries, fuses, cables, and connectors. They will be responsible for creating models for semiconductor power devices like IGBT, MOSFET and Diode.
They will interpret and present results to decision makers at key program gates for GM Global Vehicle Development Program. This person will be required to interact closely with team members and work cross functionally to deliver standard work, root cause analysis, compare analytical results to tests, develop new analysis capabilities, and identify analytical gaps.
- Develop high voltage battery and electrical systems models using tools like Saber, Matlab and Simulink
- Perform high voltage electrical analysis to deliver design solutions which are robust and reliable, applying optimization and statistical methods when appropriate
- Work collaboratively with Propulsion/ Battery System integration engineers, Electrical Architects, and component hardware design teams to ensure system requirements are met, design concepts are evaluated, and development and validation plans are successful
- Collaborate with other CAE teams to integrate higher fidelity models like battery cell electrochemistry and thermal/CFD into electrical system simulations
- Ensure on time delivery of high-quality results
- BS, MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Mechanical Engineering required
Required Skills and Experience:
- 2-5 years demonstrated ability in design and analysis of battery and electrical components
- Experience in Synopsys Saber Product or comparable Electrical Data Analysis tool products like LTSpice/PSpice,Matlab and Simulink
- Experience with semiconductor devices like IGBT, MOSFET and Diode and modeling
- Experience in analysis of high voltage systems and/or battery systems with electrified vehicles (BEV, EREV, PHEV, HEV, BAS)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with development and usage of CAE/CAD tools
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Experience in designing and implementing GUI (Graphical User Interface) as well as core software for technical applications with schematic interfaces
- Black belt in performing DFSS analysis
- Knowledge of Lithium-ion battery cell modeling and simulation Modeling (or other cell chemistries: Lead Acid, etc.)
- Experience in applying Artificial Intelligence (AI)/Machine Learning (ML) methods
- Good understanding of electrical systems, controls and component development / validation
- Engineering experience in design, analysis or testing of electrical components
- Understanding and application of engineering theory and principles of operation for electrical mechanisms
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.