Manufacturing Tool and Die Intern
Our plants are the groundwork for GM and a hotbed of innovation. Interns to do hands-on work that could add directly to the bottom line of our culture and our company. We need Tool and Die interns to assist skilled trade personnel in the operation and maintenance of specialist equipment. These tasks would teach you root causing analysis and mechanical problem solving as well as leadership skills to provide technical support. This is a hands-on position in which you may work with periodic repairs and to provide technical support and direction to support personnel/skilled trades.
- Interact with a medium to large group of skilled trade employees
- Analyze product, process and technology to figure out the best methods of manufacture
- Support preventative maintenance on new and existing tooling
- Implement best practices, lessons learned and support manufacturing innovations
- Troubleshoot special maintenance and equipment proble
- Assists in obtaining resources to effectively maintain and perform operations
- Stays ahead of current product, procedure and technical developments and trends in areas of manufacturing expertise (Stamping)
- Support/Lead project activity as required
- Assist in the design and building of tools and equipment or recommends improvements to existing processes.
We have opportunities available in the below locations for this role. Please indicate in your application which of these locations you are interested in.
- Fairfax (Kansas City), KS
- Pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: Engineering
- Must be graduating between December 2023 and May 2026
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Willingness to work in a plant environment
- Demonstrated leadership in field of study, extracurricular activities or service organizations
- Effectively connect with cross shifts
- Supporting production line
- Interfacing with hourly workforce
- Able to work independently and with a team
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Oral and written communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Deliver new and creative solutions to sophisticated problems
This position will begin in May/June 2023 for a Spring/Summer Internship
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2023 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.