GM Customer Care and Aftersales (CCA) is seeking an Automotive Technician co-op student to become part of the team. As an Auto Technician Co-op student, you will rotate in different work terms through a series of different positions and assignments while attending the GM Automotive Service Education Program (GM ASEP). This program involves working closely with various groups within General Motors in a rotational format throughout the two-year Associates degree program. The student will spend time in, Labor Time facility, Service-Learning Center, and Milford Proving Grounds validating service procedures and identifying appropriate labor times, diagnosing company owned vehicles, and repairing test vehicles. At the end of the co-op, the student will have the opportunity to interview for a full-time position with General Motors.
- Champion of Safety in all aspects of their work, adheres to all Safety standards
- Maintain good housekeeping
- Develop, implement, and sustain workplace organization practices
- Inspect vehicles, vehicle computers, engine, transmissions, and mechanical/electrical components to diagnose issues
- Repair or replace broken or dysfunctional parts, maintain, and update issues requiring attention
- Conduct routine maintenance work (replacing fluids, lubricating parts etc.) aiming to vehicle functionality and longevity
- Perform on vehicle validation of service procedures
- Identify errors and possible optimizations within service procedures
- Perform time studies for “on vehicle” repair procedures
- Must have basic computer knowledge for inputting service repair information
- Document validations and time studies Maintain records on work performed including data collected or analyzed.
- Able to collaborate with others within and outside the work group and work effectively in a team environment. Communicate findings with engineering personnel through verbal or written means
- Document and communicate project status to leadership as required.
- Test property inspection, fixturing, instrumentation installation & verification, teardown/removal of test equipment and test vehicles (when applicable).
- Complete assignments according to work requests, on-time, with high quality
- Staging, movement, build, teardown, and validation of test vehicles (when applicable).
- Maintain awareness of Business Plan Deployment goals and objectives, identify, and suggest relevant opportunities for improvement.
- Consistently model GM Behaviors in everything they do
- Pursuit of an Associate’s degree in Automotive Technology
- Must be accepted into an Automotive Service Education Program (ASEP)
- Must be graduating by July of 2024
- Able to work fulltime, 40 hours per week
- Familiar with automotive mechanical and electrical systems
- Proficient computer skills e.g., MS Office (Work, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Demonstrates the ability to work on multiple projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Must be able to occasionally life up to 50 lbs.
- Must have the ability to handle various tools (e.g., pliers) and heavy equipment (e.g., lift)
- Willingness to observe all safety precautions for protections against accidents, dangerous fluids, chemicals, etc.
- Must be able to make informed decisions associated with the job with limited assistance
- High school diploma is required. Certification from a vocational school or completion of apprenticeship is preferred.
- Insatiable curiosity and desire to learn
- Conceptual understanding and/or experience with basic automobile systems
- Consistently demonstrates innovative thinking that is customer-centric
- Able to work independently and with a team (self-starter)
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization
- Strong communication skills: excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill complex subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and collaboration skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
- Consistently demonstrates innovative thinking that is customer-centric
- Technicians will interact with other technicians (if required) to complete testing/building tasks as well as engineers to help define work
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2023 Student Program.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.