Advanced (PhD) degree in science/engineering disciplines.
New PhD grad up to 1-3 years work experience. Individual Contributor. Generate innovative ideas, suggest new project areas, and establish technical plans. Conduct research and/or experiments to collect required data and validate research ideas in developing. Write timely and high-quality research reports, external publications, and records of invention to document new ideas and research results in your area of research.
Maintain up-to-date knowledge of industry and technical developments to grow core technical skills and competencies.
Establish relationships and develop partners with divisional staffs to meet project objectives
Observe and ensure support personnel proper safety practices and ensure personal protective equipment is in working order. Communicate laboratory hazards appropriately.
Execute technical and special assignments.
Assist lab management in identifying mega-trends in technology and business strategies in the automotive sector.
Contribute responses to threats and opportunities.
Represent GM effectively to the external technical and business communities.
Participate in technical discussions and reviews as an expert in your field.
Grow and diversify personal skills and competency base.
In-depth knowledge of the state-of-the-art research in specialized areas.
Consistently demonstrate innovative thinking and strong partnership.
Strong verbal and written communication skills
New Phd Graduate, 1-3 years experience, individual contributor
- Candidate shall have strong background from one of the followings:
- solid background in materials science, especially physical metallurgy.
- background in related engineering fields such as mechanical engineering with an emphasis on computational solid/fluid mechanics.
- Experienced with advanced materials development and technologies.
- Established in technical community in respective field of study.
- Experience in light metal (aluminum and magnesium) processing techniques (casting, extrusion, forging, welding, forming, etc.) and advanced high strength steel is plus, but not necessary.
- Skilled user of non-linear finite element analysis tools such as Abaqus, Ansys and Ls-dyna, and rich project experience in using FEA to solve engineering problems.
- Ability to work both independently and in project teams.
- Proficient with advanced analytical technologies for materials from nano-scale to macro-scale level.
- Thorough understanding of thermodynamics/kinetics calculations of phase transformations.
- Skillful with oral and written communication in English.
- Ph.D in Materials Science and Engineering with emphasis on physical metallurgy, or in related engineering fields such as Mechanical Engineering.
- Preferred: at least 3 years of work/research experience in advanced structural materials with good track of research publications; and relevant experience in commercial labs or industrial R&D center.
- Excellent problem solving capability
- Interpersonal traits to work effectively with others
- Excellent communication skill in presentation and writing.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.