Highlights of Exploring Career through Experiential Learning (EXCEL) Program:
- Hands-on experience at a leading market player in the global auto industry
- Responsibility for a project from initiation to final presentation
- Exposure across multiple teams and in front of senior leaderships
- Top performing candidates may receive an offer to join GM’s fast-track rotational program of Technical Rotation and Career Knowledge Program (“TRACK”)
General Motors Company, headquartered in Detroit, operates across major
regions of the world and has developed many high-quality brands such as Cadillac, Buick, and Chevrolet. With the vision of “Zero Crash, Zero Emission, Zero Congestion”, GM is pushing the possibilities to redefine the future of personal mobility. From vehicle electrification to self-driving cars, we are committed to delivering safer, simpler and more sustainable solutions for our customers and communities around the world.
GM China headquartered (“HQ”) in Shanghai, aims to be the best automotive group in China together with its partners. GM employs more than 58,000 employees in China through its joint ventures and wholly owned entities. China is the largest automobile market worldwide and GM’s largest retail market, with significant opportunities and potential to grow.
GM International (“GMI”) region includes the Asia Pacific, North Africa, the Middle East, Cadillac Europe, Russia, and South America.
GM China & GMI Finance supports every facet of diverse business portfolio by designing and implementing timely business solutions based on in-depth analysis, business acumen, and sensitivity to external factors. Corporate Finance Analysts are expected to help solve critical issues for the company.
The EXCEL program offers high challenge and high accountability assignments by functions such as Financial Planning & Analysis (“FP&A”), Controllership, Treasury, Product Development Finance, Corporate Audit Services, and cross-functional assignment with Planning, Strategy, and Corporate Development.
Some examples of past internship projects are China auto industry price trend analysis, Manufacturing Cost Benchmarking Analysis for plant productivity improvement, and China Auto Market Competitor Analysis. All assignments are demanding and require prioritization, strong analytical / problem solving, communication skills, and ability to take a strategic approach to project execution.
Key components of the internship program are as follows:
70% Professional and Technical Skills
- Challenging projects in real business context
- Developing meaningful business solutions
- Team engagement, cross-functional collaboration
20% Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Presentations to senior leadership
- Exposure to diversified working environment
- Regular performance review and feedback by peers and direct-report managers
10% Trainings and Others
- Finance functional / cross-functional learning and business update sessions
- Career panel discussion with directors
- Plant tour / volunteering / team / social activities
All assignments will be at GM China HQ in Shanghai, China. Internship will last for approximately 8-10 weeks, from Mid-June to Mid-August 2023.
- Finance, economics, accounting, engineering or equivalent background are preferred, with coursework in finance, accounting and/or business
- Expected to graduate from December 2023 to June 2024
- Proficient in both written and oral communication in English and Chinese
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and organizational abilities
- Good teamwork and high level of interpersonal skills
- Self-confidence and motivation to strive for excellence
- Result-driven and strong accountability
- Chinese citizens (including residents of Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan)
- Resume Deadline*: Nov 15th, 2022
- Interviews (On-site/via Teams): Nov. 2022 – Feb. 2023
- Internship Offer Delivery: Feb. 2023
* We strongly encourage early submission
- Cover Letter （Mandatory)
- Please click this link to submit your resume and cover letter online through Workday to apply
- Please make sure you apply through the link above, application through university websites will not be considered. Duplicate application will be deleted.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.