This is a hybrid position. Some remote working opportunities may be available depending on the role candidate is selected for. Some roles may require the individual to be onsite.
At GM, we look to move humanity forward. We translate breakthrough technologies into vehicles and experience that people love. It all starts with research and development. We are looking for R&D Interns to craft, design, and develop groundbreaking designs and concepts. In this internship, you will plan and execute collaborative research to support the Manufacturing Systems Lab in areas such as additive manufacturing and advanced manufacturing capabilities.
- Conduct research and/or experiments to collect required data and validate research ideas
- Document and present results. Depending on the assignment, results could lead to external publications and/or intellectual property
- Execute technical and special assignments
- Assist lab management in identifying mega trends in technology and business strategies in the automotive sector
- Develop and execute specific research plans, including concept generation, development, implementation, and validation
- Collaborate effectively with peers, management, operations groups, and outside organizations
- Must be a second year Master’s degree student or currently pursuing PhD
- Preferred degree in science/engineering subject areas
- Strong theoretical and experimental skills
- Previous research work experience in development of design methodology and technology transfer
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Consistently demonstrate critical thinking and strong teamwork
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent persuasion, active listening, delegation, and leadership skills to work effectively with GM internal and external customers
- Prior internship experience in automotive, technology, or manufacturing
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Demonstrates leadership in field of study, extra-curricular activities, or service organizations
- Strong leadership skills, to guide project teams through planning, execution, and insight phases
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, especially the ability to synthesize large amounts of data involving multiple variables into comprehensive, impactful insights
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, leading deliverables and goals
- Willingness to ask questions, take initiative and be inventive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to distill sophisticated subjects to a wider audience
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a rapidly moving environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
Remote: This position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis.
The monthly base compensation for this role is between $5800-$8500. Base compensation will be based on your level of degree. Applicable salary ranges may differ across markets. Actual pay will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law.
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022 Student Program
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.