The Launch Process Engineering Team excels in the development, testing, implementation and execution of new casting programs, platforms and technology. This group is unique in that by working with and across multiple levels of the GM technical groups, vendors and suppliers, the complex problems of high pressure die casting are developed into controlled manufacturing processes.
The Specific Purpose of this position is to support the Launch Team activities and programs as directed by GPS ME. By working in and with a cross functional team of die casting engineers, you will perform casting manufacturing projects by following a systematic engineering process of evaluation, development, validations, technology transfer leading into and supporting the production launch and processing.
Specifically responsible and directly involved in the development of manufacturing processes, equipment, tooling and alternatives, sequences, operations, utilizations for the production of castings.
- Ability to work individually on specific programs yet collaboratively with Launch Team, QC, Design, Tooling, and other support groups
- Demonstrate technical knowledge of foundry processes and ability to apply concepts in a manufacturing environment
- Support Launch Wall process via Manufacturing Validations, Build Plans, PPAP and related engineering procedures
- Support testing and installations of equipment, tooling and technologies both on and off site
- Lead, support and present the analysis of casting defects
- Assist in process, tooling and equipment testing, troubleshooting and implementations
- Develop process documentation, Process flow diagrams, PCP, PFMEA, TIS, and related technical documents as necessary for a program launch
- Analyze first time quality data and optimize processes using DOE, Red X, and related statistical tools
- Perform both Non and destructive testing procedures for casting investigation and analysis ( leak testing, x ray, CT, thermal, lab specimen prep, chemistry, density, mechanical, etc)
- On site work, working on shop floor, hands on equipment, understanding of casting shop activity,( climbing, bending, lifting, in and around Hot aluminum)
- Demonstrated knowledge of foundry processes and ability to apply casting concepts in a manufacturing environment
- HPDC, or similar tooling, process, quality, or project management experience
- Knowledge of process engineering procedures and disciplines
- Effective or functional knowledge of Magma, Flow 3D, simulation software
- Effective and functional knowledge of aluminum chemistry, heat treat, metallurgical processes
- Demonstrated understanding of mechanical concepts involving machine design, process equipment, tooling, and secondary post processing
- Training in aluminum metallurgy
- Prior experience in high pressure die casting
- Training in flow simulations ( Magma, Flow 3d)
- Mechanical properties testing and procedures
- Background in Aluminum chemistry is encouraged
- BS degree (Engineering, Metallurgical, CS) or equivalent experience is required
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.