As a Buyer for Powertrain Cooling, you will be responsible for purchase of all or a specific portion of productive and/or non-productive materials, supplies, machinery, tooling and/or services. Responsible for actively participating in the development of commodity strategy, sourcing/negotiations, global/regional material budget execution, and collaborate with suppliers or internal partners. The work is of a sophisticated nature involving a considerable amount of initiative, analytical work and judgment.
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most successfully. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
- All Sourcing and Contracting Activities that including sourcing event bid strategy & management, bid analytics, coordination, and alignment of RFQ package components, including Terms & Conditions, SOR, RFQ documentation, leadership sourcing recommendation / alignment, and management of sourcing documentation related to bid events in adherence to the GM Audit Services
- Daily supplier interface activities on all commercial items
- Drive commercial budget activities
- Support supply chain activities & disruptions to find alternative solutions
- Support supplier management initiatives, including “Strategic Supplier Engagement”
- Cultivate relationships with strategic suppliers by acting as a focal point for commercial issue resolution
- Perform rate management activities including benchmarking, rate analysis, and read-across opportunities
- Participate in supplier performance reviews
- A minimum of 5 years relevant purchasing or supply chain experience
- Ability to work cross functionally, both internally and externally and form relationships
- Experience handling commercial issues with suppliers and assessing supplier performance
- Tried competence in negotiating skills
- High level of analytical ability where problems can be somewhat complex
- Experience with supply chain and logistics challenges
- Experience with commodities (metals, stampings, castings, plastics, resins, paint, electronics, etc)
- Professional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Developed organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficient with Microsoft office products - Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Finance, Industrial Engineering, or related field
- Automotive industry experience
- Knowledge of procurement software
- Knowledge of materials management
- Capable of interpreting market data
- Proven knowledge of contract law and its applications regarding purchasing processes
- Ability to travel at least 5% of time, including international travel
- Analytical Thinking
- Workload Management
- Relationship Management
- Vendor/Supplier Management
- Data Judgment
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.