Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. This position requires an employee to be on-site approximately 3 times per week.
The Team: The Mechatronic Software Platform Organization leads a mission to create a robust mechatronic software infrastructure which will enable GM to deliver features and functions that will excite and delight our customers. We are an engaged, inclusive, and innovative team that adapts to challenges and works together to enable the enterprise to deliver and test application code frequently and efficiently to support our Software Defined Vehicle future. These are exciting times and we want you to be a part of our mission!
This is a brand new and rapidly growing organization working to create and define solutions to complex issues at a very rapid pace. To accomplish our goals, we are looking for motivated and innovative thinkers to fill multiple openings in roles similar to those defined below.
Our team is creating low-level infrastructure software that enables our software-defined-vehicle on state-of-the-art microcontrollers and SOCs. We are on the forefront of the future of our mechatronic infrastructure platform software developing and inventing simultaneously. Some of the things you may work on include ethernet switches and communication protocols, cybersecurity, and new foundational software critical to our future vehicle electrical architecture.
As a Software Engineer in the Mechatronic Software and Integration Team, you will be responsible for software design and code construction using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies. Your tasks will include prototyping and executing software tasks spanning the entire software development lifecycle, such as requirements analysis, design, coding, support of defect resolution, and production release. We are looking for creative people with strong technical expertise in automotive embedded software to join a highly capable team focused on leading-edge technology solution development.
Design, develop, and implement software in C and C++.
Lead cross functional teams in the design, creation and deliver software for embedded controls systems for the infrastructure layers including HWIO, BSW, Complex Drivers, SUMs, and other.
Test & demonstrate software functionality & readiness in prototype benches.
Ensure common solutions across all GM owned software
Document requirements for design solution and link them to test cases that can demonstrate software functionality
Utilize automated test tools in build environments and benches to verify functionality of the developed software
Coordinate and collaborate with specialized teams such as Systems, Safety, Electrical Architecture, Cybersecurity, Software Defined Vehicle, Calibration and Vehicle Performance
Support of root cause analysis and debugging.
Collaborate and lead meetings with suppliers to develop micro, peripheral, and ECU specific solutions for new technology
Lead software quality improvements to determine if restructuring is needed to improve quality, maintainability, reusability, or other software improvements
Troubleshoot code to resolve design deficiencies and develop solutions to resolve them
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent Engineering degree
- 5+ years of experience in embedded software development
- Ability to read schematics and understand basic electrical circuits.
- Understanding and knowledge of infrastructure and basic software
- Proven ability to work independently under a tight, demanding schedule
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others
- High level of analytical problem-solving skills
- Experience with Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) for microcontrollers.
- Experience with configuration management software (GIT, etc)
- Master’s degree in computer engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent Engineering degree
- 7+ years of experience in automotive embedded software development
- Experience with automotive communication protocols such as Ethernet, CAN and LIN
- Experience in Scaled Agile Framework for enterprise (SAFe) process.
- Knowledge in vehicle electrical system
- Experience with designing, developing, and testing AUTOSAR BSW Layers (Communication Services, Memory Services, System Services and Complex Device Drivers)
- Experience with embedded compiler, linker, debugging tools, and software such as Lauterbach, ETAS INCA, CANalyzer, oscilloscopes, and other general lab equipment
- Experienced with Cybersecurity and Safety coding practices.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.