General Motors is transforming the future of mobility – and the Canadian Technical Centre (CTC) is at the forefront of that transformation. We are a diverse team of agile and innovative thought leaders who are passionate about developing key technologies and products that will help achieve GM’s vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion.
CTC has a proven track record of taking technologies from concept to production in both automotive and non-automotive areas. Our success is propelled by our talented people and our deep technical knowledge in domains like infotainment software, diagnostics, data analytics, AI, mechatronic controls, and cold weather development. If you want to work with an inclusive and collaborative team that’s striving to change the world for the better, we invite you to join us
As an senior software engineer, you will be responsible to develop, implement, and test software for high impact projects that are aligned to GM’s future around autonomous and EV. Join our agile team and let’s create the future together!
- Own and develop high quality embedded software solutions as part of a larger team; leading and participating in future development
- Collaborate with Systems Engineers in architecting requirements
- Conduct design and code reviews for C++14 and/or Python projects
- Lead and participate in embedded SW implementation, applying strong SW development principles
- Conduct software verification (unit testing, simulation, test automation, on hardware and in-vehicle as needed)
- Provide clear and complete documentation per the software development process
- Collaborate with team members through Scrum/Agile. Utilize agile software development methodologies including continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Take ownership of each project, make design and implementation decisions autonomously, and mentor junior members
Required Skills and Experience
- 8+ years designing and developing production software in C++, including C++14
- 3+ years of automotive embedded software development or similar
- Development experience in another language (e.g. Python, C#)
- Experience developing unit tests based on GTest and GMock
- Experience in object-oriented software development, algorithms, and data structures, design patterns
- Experience working with large code bases, developing entirely new code and maintaining existing code, within a CI/CD environment
- Experience with agile software development
- Experience providing technical guidance to team members
- Ability to investigate issues based on limited information. Demonstrated high level of analytical ability to resolve complex problems.
- Creative, disciplined, strong sense of responsibility
- Strong leadership and interpersonal communication skills, proven ability to collaborate effectively with team members locally and remotely
- Must be legally allowed to work in Canada and be able to travel to the US
- Must have a valid Canadian driver’s license
Minimum Education Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mechatronics, Software, Electrical or Computer Engineering
- Advanced degrees preferred
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Understanding of major automotive vehicle systems such as Advanced Driver-Assistance (ADAS)
- Exposure to Automotive Platforms (Ethernet/CAN/LIN, AUTOSAR, QNX)
- Knowledge of vehicle architectures, serial and ethernet data communication, and hardware/software interfaces
- Experience with Machine/Deep Learning algorithms
- Experience with Data Visualization and Business Intelligence tools (e.g. HUE, Jupyter, PowerBI)
- Experience with big data databases (e.g. Hadoop/SQL/NoSQL)
- Exposure to sensors or embedded devices – eg. cameras, radars, LiDARs
- Exposure to GPU computing
- Experience with SAFe methodologies
- Experience with OBDII, ISO26262 functional safety control systems
Compensation and Benefits:
- GM’s Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs.
- GM’s comprehensive compensation and benefits plan is carefully designed and thoroughly benchmarked against the companies that we compete for talent in the local market .
The goal of the General Motors of Canada total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan currently includes the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and supplemental benefits for pregnancy, parental and adoption leave.
- Healthcare, dental and vision benefits including health care spending account and wellness incentive.
- Life insurance plans to cover you and your family.
- Company and matching contributions to a Defined Contribution Pension plan to help you save for retirement.
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values.
- Tuition Assistance and Employee Assistance Program.
- GM Vehicle Purchase Plan for you, your family and friends.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.