The Verification and Testing Systems group thrives on developing, deploying, and inventing new technology within Global Propulsion manufacturing process. Along with working on GM’s most advanced technology, the group has the luxury of working across multiple technology facilities within the Global Propulsion Center.
General Purpose of Position is to support the execution of the Global Propulsion Testing Development Process from AFI through SORP (cradle to grave) on High Volume Battery Pack and Module Testing. Collaboratively work with a multi-functional team of engineers to refine the electrical and leak test processes and then lead in the execution of the tooling procurement, installation, debug, start up and launch in the assembly plant(s).
In addition to the primary focus of supporting high volume battery plant test equipment, this role will also actively support the GPS build events at GM labs, pre-production facilities and assembly plants, such as the Pontiac Electric Motor Lab, Warren Battery Systems Lab (BSL), Test Battery Operations (TBO) and the Brownstown Battery Assembly Plant through development of the electrical and leak test processes, tooling, equipment and complementing quality planning tools, and support for problem solving activities.
Other locations that may require support would be metro Detroit area, Spring Hill, TN, Ramos, Mexico and sites in Ontario, Canada.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Lead/support procurement of prototype electrical and leak test tooling and equipment and complementing installation and debug
- Work collaboratively with Product Engineering, Manufacturing Area Leads and others to address build issues.
- Provide lessons learned to TIEs and others.
- Support a multi-functional engineering team in the development and refinement of the production test processes and the execution of the procurement of the assembly equipment & tooling and installation, debug, and launch.
- Develop production assembly electrical and leak test processes, layout concepts, and continue with refinement as the process transitions to the Execution phase.
- Lead in the development of the test SORs and complementing buy-off checklist.
- Work with equipment supplier in the design, assembly and buy-off of a production-capable system.
- Work with installation team in installation, debug and buy-off of equipment in the plant.
- Support plant build events and document/resolve build issues.
- Complete peer reviews and ensure completion of closed loop learning to Global TIEs.
Skills / Requirements:
- Ability to simultaneously balance multiple testing projects at multiple locations across all of the global propulsion center products with a high level of accountability.
- Development of specifications and experience working on electrical test systems
- Knowledge of electrical and leak testing systems, data acquisition, and data analysis of production components
- Ability to understand test control and product drawings
- Understanding of machine and product controls architecture
- Work with product engineering and manufacturing engineering teams to develop testing protocols and critical build verification criteria in a production/lab environment
- Ability to work autonomously with little direct supervision
- Ability to communicate test status and concerns to all level of personnel
- Preferred experiences include: Electrical Test Stand, Leak Test Stand, Controls Experience, Transmission/Engine Test, Battery, Power Inverter, Electric Motor Systems Knowledge, and/or Fuel Cell.
- 3+ Years Engineering Experience (preferred)
- Bachelor Science in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Willingness to travel locally and globally to production and lab facilities as the need arises
- Position is a hybrid work position; some work can be done remotely but onsite work at plants and suppliers is also required and should be considered typical
GM does not provide immigration-related sponsorship for this role. Do not apply for this role if you need or will need GM Immigration Sponsorship to work or to remain employed at GM (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.).
This position is not eligible for ISP, ITAP, or localizations.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.