The career level casting engineer - tooling and design will be responsible for developing manufacturing processes, equipment/tooling alternatives, sequence and flow of operations for the effective utilization of personnel, material, machines and facilities vital for the production of casting. Work is performed in a centralized manufacturing engineering activity or foundry plant activity where a considerable amount of creativity and initiative is exercised as well as a high level of independent judgment.
- Perform cast tooling and design projects by following a detailed engineering process of evaluation, development, validation, and technology transfer to manufacturing.
- Lead the development and implementation of program specific manufacturing processes
- Tooling Design Standards - adherence to, maintain and develop.
- Manufacturing process definition
- Sequence of operations
- Human factors consideration
- Efficient material flow
- Providing technical direction to and oversight of outside vendor sources
- Support Launch Wall process - through Manufacturing Validation Build Plan
- Work with plant site personnel, Central ME personnel, and select Product Engineers on new programs/projects
- Work with plant site personnel in supporting Continuous Improvement projects at the plant to improve plant metrics in the Safety, People, Quality, Reliability, Cost (SPQRC) arena. Emphasize working on the chronic problems versus the sporadic issues that arise within the plant
- Supervise and help coordinate PPAP and GP-12 activities
- Develop Product Quality Standards, Task Instruction Sheets, Safe Job Procedures and Audit Sheets for new products
- Support Business Plan Deployment (BPD) initiatives and coordinate engineering activities to achieve Business Plan objectives
- Stay on top of new technology - materials, additive manufacturing, tooling build processes, casting technologies.
- Strong technical knowledge and ability in process engineering subject areas
- Proven technical knowledge of foundry processes and ability to apply these concepts within a manufacturing environment.
- 3 - 5 yrs of experience in casting processes used by General Motors or other automotive processes
- Demonstrates excellent level of analytical ability, communication and interpersonal skills required to establish relationships with team members and customers to tackle problems and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple and difficult projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results.
- Demonstrates initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others.
- Shown ability in project management skills.
- Validated understanding of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Word
- Effective in using Design of Experiments and Red X problem solving techniques.
- Validated understanding and ability to implement Global Manufacturing Systems (GMS) principles.
- Basic understanding of mechanical concepts involving machine designs, process requirements involved in the manufacturing process.
- Training in aluminum casting process
- Proficient in using NX, and Team Center
- Functional knowledge of Magma, Flow-3D and Arena Flow software
- Dimensional Data Analysis - CMM and Laser scans.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or equivalent
GM does not provide immigration-related sponsorship for this role. Do not apply for this role if you need or will need GM Immigration Sponsorship to work or to remain employed at GM (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.).
This position is not eligible for ISP, ITAP, or localizations.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.