At BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live! We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to ePallets and software that maximizes real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce.
To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future.
From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and detailed thinking to deliver a better future.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop (gobrightdrop.com) is striving to improve the communities where we live and deliver a better future for generations to come. We hope you’ll join us!
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a BrightDrop facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite on average 3x per week
Performance Engineer is an Individual contributor with recognized expertise responsible for tasks and work you're doing throughout the entire product development lifecycle including requirements definition, systems design and implementation, testing, and problem resolution.
- Verify System level product capabilities using the PRD (product requirements document) as point of reference. Use statistical sample size where possible.
- Provide test traceability for each product level requirement.
- Determine boundary conditions that test the limits and corner cases of saleable product.
- Run various test cases that represent product use cases and compile statistical data. Draw conclusions and recommendations.
- Develop model-based control systems using MATLAB Simulink or suitable alternatives. Perform Model in Loop (MIL) testing in a controlled environment using models.
- Build test scripts, instrument test units, and collect data.
- Devise new and/or unscripted tests to help root cause and trouble shoot system failures.
- Develop and/or use computer software and hardware to conduct tests on electronic products and systems and software.
- Document test results and follow up on all test issues identified during test execution.
- Perform troubleshooting, root cause analysis and problem-solving on test unit failures.
- Lead performance activities with contracted laboratories and test facilities.
- Review and approve test reports.
- Analyze and interpret test data, prepare technical reports, and present to manufacturing, engineering, and management personnel.
- Collaborate with quality, compliance, outside labs, internal GM test facilities, hardware engineering, software engineering, safety and purchasing.
Minimum Required Skills and Experience:
- Four-year bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical preferred) or equivalent.
- Minimum 5+ years of relevant professional engineering experience.
- Minimum of 3 years practical work experience specializing in controls engineering, calibration, electronics, propulsion systems, battery management or systems integration.
- High level of interpersonal skill and ability to work with minimum guidance.
- Solid understanding of electrical systems integration.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Good interpersonal skills and can interact effectively across the BrightDrop organization.
- Project management capabilities (schedule, cost, activities).
- Be proactive and quickly address test issues.
- Ability to write detailed performance test plans consistent with product needs.
- Can apply Statistical Analysis capability (Weibull/ Reliability and Confidence), using software (such as MATLAB) to captured test data.
- Knowledgeable on various instrumentation tools, CAN Analyzer, PEAK tools, CAN log capture, others.
- Committed and drives for results.
Compensation: The compensation information is a good faith estimate only. It is based on what a successful applicant in the California Bay Area which includes the following counties: Marin, Contra Costa, San Francisco, Alameda, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz might be paid in accordance with the California law. The compensation may not be representative for positions located outside of the California Bay Area.
The salary compensation range for this role: $124,500 - $190,692
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance. Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.