This is a Hybrid work model out of Detroit and Warren, MI
General Motors is looking for a quality focused Counsel, Labor and Employment to set the standard on legal analysis for our company and to help our leaders make mindful decisions for our products and our people.
The Counsel will support labor, employment, compensation and benefits legal work for General Motors, with focused support for Manufacturing, Human Resources and Labor departments.
- Provide advice and counsel to management, Human Resources, and Labor Relations regarding compliance with existing employment laws and new legislation
- Provide advice and counsel to Labor Relations regarding collective bargaining matters and contract administration
- Provide advice and counsel on issues such as state and federal employment discrimination and anti-harassment statutes; NLRA claims, general union relations and contract negotiations; FMLA and disability law claims; USERRA; state and federal wage and hour laws and the FLSA; equal pay; corporate separateness and contingent workers' issues; affirmative action and diversity; drug-free workplace; employee discipline and termination; restructuring; whistleblower laws; wrongful discharge claims; and drafting employment agreements and policies
- Represent and/or manage matters for the Company before state and federal administrative agencies, including the OFCCP, the Wage and Hour Division, EEOC, state and local human rights agencies, as well as in mediations and arbitrations and any claims under local union grievance procedures
- Cost-effectively manage employment litigation/other costs and interface with outside counsel
- Conduct and manage internal investigations
- Draft and present client training on labor and employment issues
- Provide advice and counsel in other business areas and work on legal projects to improve business policies and processes
- Support and contribute to L&E team's annual objectives and Human Resource/Labor Relations teams’ initiatives
- Handle highly sophisticated legal matters and advocating clear business actions
- Ownership of relationships with executive partners and extensive collaboration with cross-functional partners to understand their business needs
- Formulate and complete end-to-end legal analysis and recommendation with innovative business solutions, including data gathering, strategic thinking, and ongoing communication
As a member of the General Motors Legal Staff, Counsel will strive to be a role model for the Company and deliver timely, best-in-class business advisory and legal services with integrity while protecting GM’s high standards of legal, ethical, and financial integrity. Each member of the Legal Staff, including Counsel, is expected to enforce these standards:
- Workplace and Product Safety
- Compliance & Ethical obligations
- Strategic Partnering and Innovation
- Responsive & Accountable with a Strong Work Ethic
- Real-time Transparency, Intentional Inclusion and Open Communication
- Financial savvy, including budgeting
- Community Involvement and Professional Development
- Deep interest, knowledge, and proficiency in key legal trends that impact your success to problem-solve and provide excellent business judgment to our internal and external customers
- Strong attention to detail, passion for establishing clarity in ambiguity, and bias to action
- Ability to collaborate, form relationships, gain credibility, and partner up and down a matrixed organization
- Demonstrated success of establishing client rapport and participating in an environment of continuous improvement
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience
- Law degree from an accredited college or university
- Admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction in the United States
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.