This is a Hybrid work model out of Detroit and Warren, MI
You will take a lead role in providing legal guidance and support directly to internal clients involved in developing, testing, and commercializing digital products and services, with a focus on supporting connected vehicle services, mobile app development, data usage, and related technology transactions.
Legal advice will primarily focus on the privacy, security, and consumer protection implications of new products, services, and features. You will work closely with key clients to understand business and technical objectives and to timely advise on risk-balanced, pragmatic legal solutions that support compelling, differentiated customer experiences.
- Participate directly in product/service development programs with key clients, primarily in the connected vehicle and mobile app areas
- Advise on the privacy, security, consumer protection, and other compliance aspects of proposed new product/service features
- Team with developers to proactively build privacy and compliance into new designs
- Draft, interpret, and negotiate technology-related contracts primarily in the software, content, and data spaces
- Review proposals for data usage from a privacy and security perspective
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of evolving privacy, security, and consumer protection laws relevant to automotive and digital spaces
- Standardize, improve, and implement common global processes
- Drive company priorities of safety, inclusion, and compliance
- Develop training and integrating legal function with business clients
- Significant experience advising development teams on relevant legal guidelines and constraints, such as consumer protection, privacy, and cybersecurity compliance requirements
- Strong track record of technology transactions support, including technology development contracts, software, content, and data license contracts, and the privacy and cybersecurity compliance terms involved in such contracts
- Experience working with public policy teams and/or federal and state privacy regulators
- Strong oral and written communication skills with an ability to express complex legal matters in clear, concise, business-friendly language
- Ability to efficiently navigate through ambiguous issues to arrive at pragmatic, risk-balanced compliance solutions that advance client objectives
- Deep interest, knowledge, curiosity, and proficiency in key legal trends that support effective problem-solving for clients
- Excellent legal and business judgement
- Strong attention to detail and bias for action
- Ability to collaborate, form relationships, gain credibility, and partner up and down a matrixed organization
- Demonstrated success of establishing client rapport and participating in an environment of continuous improvement
- Minimum of five (5) years total experience focused on relevant technology, privacy, or cybersecurity matters
- Law degree from an accredited college or university
- Admitted to practice in at least one jurisdiction in the United States
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.