Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a BrightDrop facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite approximately 3x per week
The BrightDrop engineering team is growing, and we are seeking technical, innovative, problem solvers – to learn more about how we’re building smarter ways to deliver goods and services please go to https://www.gobrightdrop.com
The world has changed, and we need your help to change it for the better! The BrightDrop team is tasked with developing and commercializing solutions to the world’s mobility challenges. We invite you to join us in building a future with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion.
The BrightDrop team is seeking customer-focused, agile team members who have a passion for innovation! Individuals will work collaboratively in agile teams to create concepts and start new ventures that solve personal and commercial mobility challenges. Access to advanced technologies and the autonomy to challenge convention creates an exciting, fast-paced environment often associated with Silicon Valley startups.
This is a unique opportunity to innovate and scale solutions that impact our world. We seek experienced individuals ready to rise to the challenge!
In this role you will have two responsibilities. First, as the technical lead for a BrightDrop last mile product. Second, as our advanced technology lead. As the technical lead, you will manage the overall design of one of our products, work with engineers on creative solutions, approve engineering changes and balances imperatives (mass, cost, timing). As our advanced technology lead, you will be looking to the future and developing technical roadmaps for our engineering development. This includes benchmarking, prototyping activities, partner engagements and working with the greater engineering team on advanced development.
- Work with Product Managers to understand customer needs/wants and generate advanced development roadmap aligned with product roadmaps.
- Synthesize customer and analytical insights into technical requirements that provide partners with a clear understanding of what to do and why.
- Guide executives and key partners through sophisticated decisions to drive progress toward our strategic goals.
- Partner closely with Engineering, Program management, Data Science, Commercial operations, Systems Engineering and Consumer Product to define goals and the roadmap needed to reach them.
- Lead a product from concept to scaled production while resolving integration, build, and test issues.
- Balance product, marketing, technical, and regulatory requirements.
- Work with product engineers on system integration, product execution, timing of deliverables and issue resolution
- Responsible for removing roadblocks for on-time completion of all engineering deliverables to ensure a successful product launch.
- Benchmark technologies/solutions and assess their applicability to our last mile product portfolio.
- Generate advanced technology roadmaps and work with the cross functional engineering team to evaluate the technology for future product use.
- Work cross functionally within engineering to execute advanced development.
- Generate yearly engineering budget based on deliverables and meet spend targets.
- Reporting engineering deliverable status.
- Work closely with Product and Design to identify efficient and effective solutions under greenfield or brownfield conditions.
- Guide and collaborate with functional team leaders to build technical product requirements, system architecture diagrams, and solution spaces.
- BS in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering field (Masters preferred).
- 5+ years of experience in the design, release, validation of industrial products.
- Proven success leading highly technical (robotics, autonomy, machine learning or computer vision) products.
- Experience with developing products at medium and high volume and associated manufacturing processes
- Experience leading product development from zero to first release and beyond.
- Pro-active and commits to results with the ability to lead across multiple functions with no direct reporting.
- Positive attitude, integrity, and confidentiality.
- High level of independent judgment and decision making.
- High level analytical ability - generate product and technical insights through quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills: verbal and written, with engineers, non-technical partners, and executives.
- Thrive in ambiguity, crafting simplicity and order.
- Creativity and curiosity: you're driven to find novel solutions and push forward an entire industry.
- Ability to break down complex problems so their less difficult to interpret for resolution.
Compensation: The compensation information is a good faith estimate only. It is based on what a successful applicant in the California Bay Area which includes the following counties: Marin, Contra Costa, San Francisco, Alameda, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz might be paid in accordance with the California law. The compensation may not be representative for positions located outside of the California Bay Area.
The salary compensation range for this role: $152,000 - 233,000
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance. Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.