As a leader in Manufacturing Engineering at Bedford Casting Operations, you will support the execution of business plans for casting and supporting manufacturing operations in the production of die cast structural, engine, transmission, and drive unit castings. You will be responsible for providing support to manufacturing operations to help them achieve BPD plans and KPI objectives. This work is of a technical nature using independent judgment focusing on Safety, People, Quality, Responsiveness, Cost, and Environment (SPQRCE). To succeed in this role, you will need to possess the ability to deal with complex problems, plan and execute short to long term projects, and will supervise salaried employees involved in plant support operations in addition to the following:
- Provide technical assistance in analyzing and solving complex manufacturing problems related to the manufacturing and processing of die cast aluminum components
- Recruit, coach, train, develop and evaluate employees comprising multiple teams of engineers including controls, casting process engineering, machining process engineering, and project engineering.
- Participate in and Champion plant Workplace Safety System elements and performance standards
- Lead productivity improvement initiatives for plant led projects
- Lead plant Asset Condition Assessment Program (ACAP) process with plant manufacturing and maintenance stakeholders
- Lead Non-Product Portfolio (NPP) project submission and execution for plant regulatory and sustainment projects affecting machinery and equipment
- Lead Manufacturing Business Case (MBC) project submission and execution
- Champion plant PFMEA activity and lead development and maintenance of plant process documentation including PFMEAS, Process Control Plans, Reaction Plans, Process Sheets
- Participate in and Support plant GMS Basketweave process
- Assist in obtaining resources to effectively perform operations/projects
- Collaborate with outside teams and functions
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required (Engineering preferred)
- At least 7 years of experience in aluminum die casting processes, including melting, basic die design, machine operation and function, and process controls and validation
- At least 7 years of people leader experience
- Ability to read and interpret MAGMA casting simulation results
- Technical knowledge and experience in machining and leak testing operations including basic tooling concepts and machine operation.
- Working knowledge of industrial controls systems
- Working knowledge of GM global equipment standards related to manufacturing equipment and cell design
- Demonstrated results in successful project execution
- Demonstrated ability to "Deal with Ambiguity" while driving timely decision making
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master of Science in Engineering and/or Master of Business Administration
- Leadership experience of teams of engineers responsible for developing or testing embedded control systems or related hardware
- Demonstrated ability to: achieve results through effective teamwork, lead numerous projects with different focal areas to successful completion, and manage and measure work through metrics, data, and results
- Prior experience in Electrification domains
- Experience managing a global team that is geographically dispersed
- Working knowledge of embedded controls development tool set – (e.g., IBM Rational Tool Suite, Jira/Jama, Git ecosystem, MatLab-Simulink, ETAS)
- “Scaled Agilist” certification in the Scaled Agile Framework®
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.