About the Role:
Do you have a passion for user-centered problem-solving and storytelling? Are you obsessed with studying, understanding, and responding to human needs? Do you want to create engaging products that solve real problems and create unique emotional experiences? Then imagine what you can do working with a like-minded, multi-disciplinary team in our User Experience group.
Our growing User Experience team is seeking passionate and talented User Experience Researchers to support the creation of customer-facing User Interfaces across multiple brands and digital platforms. Our work touches millions of lives across In-Vehicle, Web, Mobile and Wearable interfaces.
As a User Experience Researcher , you would collaborate with designers, technologists, and business stakeholders to craft meaningful experiences for our customers through thoughtful, data-informed design. The ideal candidate will have a solid foundation in design research methods, an understanding of and commitment to user-centered design and have experience planning and facilitating research for digital products.
User Experience Researchers will support multi-disciplinary teams focused on translating human needs into viable product concepts using iterative, human-centered design. Research will impact the development of out "out-of-vehicle" digital solutions. (e.g., apps)."
- Collaborate with teammates to plan and facilitate user and stakeholder research that will guide the design of world-class user experiences across all products and platforms for vehicle features
- Analyze research findings to inform problem statements, guide design strategy, and define requirements
- Facilitate workshops and collaborative activities with the team, stakeholders, and users
- Apply statistical skills for analyzing data collected
- Provide inspiring reports and feedback on the implications to user experience and how improvements to the design and functionality of the system can be made
- Create proposals on design direction supported by written and verbal presentations demonstrating ability to appropriately use both quantitative and qualitative data
- Provide tactical and targeted design recommendations and next steps based on data
- Advocate for accessibility in our designs where appropriate and/or required
- Contribute to the continued evolution of the team’s workflows and processes to further improve quality and performance
- 3+ years executing user research to inform interactive product design
- 1+ years of experience with accessibility issues (e.g., 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act [CVAA] and/or 508 accessibility standards) and user populations with special needs
- Bachelor’s Degree in HCI, Human Factors, Product Design, Psychology, Research, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
- Proficient in multiple user research methodologies is required (contextual inquiry; empathy interviews; ethnography/observational research; heuristic evaluation and expert reviews; usability testing; surveys; card sorting and information architecture; focus groups; competitive evaluation; SUS testing)
- Proficient in all aspects of study planning/fielding/analysis (i.e., team consultation, recruiting, methodology and metrics development, analysis, reporting results, etc.) required
- Keen ability to identify issues and problems, generate solutions and choose appropriate alternatives through use of user research methods required
- Familiarity with basic visual and interactive design principles and practices required
- Strong portfolio with work samples showcasing expertise in user research required
- Strong written, visual, and verbal communication skills required
- Ability to work collaboratively required
- Understanding of technology and the product development lifecycle preferred
- Automotive experience preferred
- Knowledge of design thinking methods preferred
- Familiarity with common design tools like Axure, Figma, Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign preferred
- Prototyping experience (software and/or hardware development experience preferred
- Familiarity with data science practices and working closely with data scientists/analysts in the design space (A/B testing, data analysis, etc.) preferred
Please only apply if you DO NOT need sponsorship to work in the Unites States now or in the future. We are unable to consider candidates who require sponsorship.
Compensation : The median level of salary compensation for this role is $72,435 to $115,709 USD Annual
Bonus Potential : An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits : GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.