Overview of your roles:
You support European import and export compliance in accordance with internal global GM and governmental guidelines. You are the primary point of contact for brokers and GM employees related to all shipments destined for Europe and departing from Europe. You will actively manage the European brokers in view of establishing regular checks of customs transactions and ensure secure customs import / export filling as per defined procedures.
Furthermore, you cooperate with the local units, in their day-to-day export & import processes by supporting them in monitoring of transactions, closing of transit documents or duty monitoring. You are responsible for any official inquiries from Customs Authorities and act as a consultant by providing advice and support resolving any incidents. Last but not least, you are accountable for all administrative preparations for global customs and internal audits and coordinate global trade compliance training programs and development.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Within Finance and Sales Europe Organization the Import-Export supervisor is responsible for ensuring the proper execution of the Import-Export related activities of the organization in the most effective manner, optimizing costs and aligning with legal requirements.
- Support any new legal entities set-up including EORI registrations.
- Continuous improvement in utilizing Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) and duty mitigation programs as well as and identifying new saving opportunities for Import & Export.
- Review and develop enhancements to GM’s existing trade compliance program.
- Ensure master data maintenance: supplier origin, material HS code, collaborating with Export Manufacturing Teams, Sales, Finance, Global Business Services, and Tax teams.
- Lead and coordinate application of GM’s EU and UK related Export control procedures for sanctioned countries, regions, or entities, and export-controlled items and technology.
- Maintain manufactured product catalogues for customs purposes.
- Prepare manual customs invoices for EU and UK indirect shipments and submit for internal approvals.
- Develop new team members and upgrade existing skills and performance according to the requirements.
- Fully understand and document workflows and associated back-end interactions with the brokers and third parties, including day-to-day operations, onboarding, and off-boarding, Managing brokers relationship and performance.
- Service & Duty invoice service and payment verification and approval.
- Prepare and submit monthly internal accounting information and reports (e.g., journal entries).
- Undergraduate finance degree or other business-related degree.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in the field of customs and trade.
- 2+ years of experience in a leading role.
- Extensive knowledge of Swiss, EU, UK, and International Customs laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of tariff classification, free trade agreements (especially Swiss FTAs and EFTA/FHA), EU and UK export controls, and trade compliance.
- Fluency in English.
- Working knowledge of SAP and ERP global trade automation solutions.
- Compliance/Integrity and/or customs background.
- Familiarity with project management and matrix leadership structures.
- Knowledge in the area of Supply Chain, International Trade and Logistics.
- For non-EU / EFTA citizens: Please state your eligibility status to work in Switzerland / and note that if you do not own a valid Swiss work permit, Hilti cannot guarantee your final employment due to authority regulations.
- Proven cross-function and management collaboration necessary for facilitating a global compliance program.
- Ability to quickly grasp and understand customs related concepts, standards, locally relevant business provisions, etc. to add value and provide insightful recommendations that are pragmatic, address root cause and process opportunities/weaknesses, and lead to increased efficiencies/improved controls.
- Process improvement minded with technical ability in, or desire to learn, software such as KNIME, PowerBI, Access, Excel, Teams, SAP, and other process simplification tools.
- Fluency in non-English European language(s).
- Highly motivated, pro-active, desires a career in customs/tax and genuinely enjoy this field of expertise.
- Strong analytical, oral, and written communication skills in English.
- Drive and determination to work in a high-pressure environment as leader or member of a team as well as an independent contributor.
- Ability to initiate and implement continuous improvement.
- Comfortable working in ambiguous situations.
- Willingness to adapt to change and function within a large organization.
- Demonstrated ability to research, interpret and apply Customs and/or Tax legislation.
- Possess direct accounting and computing skills.
- Proactive, independent and solution-oriented team player, flexible, and motivated.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, team, and partnering skills.
- Ability to work independently, manage work within agreed timelines, while producing high quality deliverables (e.g., documentation of controls, compliance review / testing workpapers, reports, etc.) that are clear and concise.
- Navigate duties and manage risk in an ambiguous and ever-changing environment.
- Demonstrated effective, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated people leadership skills.
- Effective collaboration with business unit management and other functional related teams necessary for facilitating trade and compliance.
This role requires local knowledge so is not open to anyone outside of Europe at this time.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.