Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the activities of a software engineering team to meet business priorities and commitments.
- Lead engineering staff in the definition and development of products working collaboratively with business units and other technology teams. Identify gaps in product roadmaps and lead or direct associated new product definition based on identified business needs. Negotiate with business stakeholders to ensure roadmap priorities are clear and achievable milestones are established.
- Lead the design and creation of system requirements and architecture, software requirements and architecture, including data architecture and interface specifications.
- Lead the software development activities across teams to ensure high velocity while delivering world-class green field software across many channels (Backend, Web, Mobile, Social).
- Ensure software products are designed and developed using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies and in accordance with GM’s software development best practices related to standards in code quality, performance, stability, and security.
- Build healthy relationships with peers and promote sharing of software, designs, architecture, and systems designs across multiple teams, business units, and product platforms.
- Provide career development coaching and mentoring activities for team members.
- Participate in HR activities including reviewing staffing requirements based on product plans, interviewing, hiring, training, and regularly evaluating team member performance.
Additional Job Description
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical field AND a minimum of 10 years leading the design and development of digital products and leading technical teams.
- Expertise in modern development architectures and technologies like Azure, Kubernetes, and Microservices.
- Experience leading teams in Agile software methodologies.
- Experience leading business facing relationships, partnering with the business to deliver digital solutions.
- Experience creating strategic roadmaps for applications, including maintaining adherence to standards (Five Star).
- Must possess a high level of initiative, energy and drive with a results-oriented track record and commitment to success.
- Must possess strong teamwork culture and the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams, building a Workplace of Choice.
- Must possess strong analytical skills, business judgment and decision-making abilities, and superior critical thinking skills.
- Experience managing global teams across various time zones.
- 7+ years developing Cloud Native 12-factor apps including designing and implementing Continuous Integration, Build, and Delivery.
- Microsoft Azure Cloud experience; Docker, Kubernetes.
- Experience with Microservices and Micro Frontend frameworks.
- Experience with Mobile development with Flutter or React Native.
- Experience with Responsive Web, Accessibility Standards, Semantic Markup and Structured CSS.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.