In our quest to ZERO, ZERO, ZERO here at GM we are looking for someone to join our high performing controls standards team as a vison engineer. In this role your specific quest to help GM achieve ZERO, ZERO, ZERO you will be working in a fast pace high tech environment, responsible for, vison engineering applications with matrox cameras, that will be applied to our Battery, eMotor, Transmission and Engine programs.
- Review manufacturing system requirements and design robust vision applications
- Create and document global vision strategy and standards for manufacturing requirements including error proofing, robot guidance and part quality. Develop scalable solution sets.
- Interface with other ME departments and regional automation execution teams to gather feedback and document manufacturing requirements.
- Interface with vision equipment suppliers and vision integration suppliers
- Provide vision system hardware and software designs including vision equipment devices, power distribution, I/O networks, software, and cost estimating tools.
- Ensure vision application designs comply with GM Standards.
- Supervise detailed designs by contractors when necessary.
- Specify vision system components, functional requirements and integration methods.
- Evaluate and validate new vision technologies for use in manufacturing plants.
- Provide on-site and remote technical support for: plant vision issues, new equipment startup, troubleshooting, reprogramming, diagnostic equipment usage, and interfacing with skilled trades personnel.
- Provide training and documentation for global deployment of standard vision systems.
- Educate the regional execution teams.
- Provide plant technical support with the development, planning and strategies for maintaining and replacing obsolete equipment.
- Occasional travel required within North America and globally to OEMs and plant sites.
Qualifications - Basic Required
- Experience with the design and build of machine vision in manufacturing systems, including equipment selection and lighting techniques
- Experience with design, set up, and debug of vision systems for error proofing, robot guidance or part quality.
- Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Experience with the design, build and start-up of manufacturing systems
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects and assignments with a high level of autonomy
- Ability to Travel up to 25%
Qualifications - Basic Preferred
- Experience deploying machine vision in manufacturing systems with GigE and smart cameras, including software tuning and adjustment for optimal performance
- Experience with Matrox Design Assistant Software and other machine vision programming software.
- Experience developing GM Manufacturing Automation and Controls Standards
- Experience with Industrial communication protocols and networking strategies
- AIA Certified Vision Professional – Basic or Advanced Certification
- PLC programming with Rockewell RS Logics 5000
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.