This is a Hybrid position within General Motors. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week.
About the team:
Digital Energy Product Innovation team works as a technology arm of GM's Energy business. The senior Software engineer is part of a balanced team responsible for delivering modern applications that will support our energy space including electric vehicle, charging infrastructure, and Ultium product lines. You will apply broad experiences in modern software development to ensure adherence to industry standards and help build applications that are highly scalable and maintainable. The ideal candidate will be working with a team that has the responsibility to design and deliver cutting edge applications that solve our business needs. You will be primarily working with Java, React, GraphQL, Rest API all running on Microsoft Azure technologies. As a senior engineer, you will take on multidisciplinary roles to understand user needs, rapidly develop solutions, and deploy testable prototypes based on the business needs.
Interested in moving at a rapid pace, engage in building innovative products and exploring cutting-edge technologies, then this might be the position you have been looking for!
MAJOR DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with product owner, architect, and the team to create secure, reliable, and scalable software solutions
- Own the development and delivery of features at all levels of the development cycle
- Be aggressive in learning about and staying current with emerging industry technologies
- Efficiently produce well-organized, optimized, and well-documented source code
- Elevate and coach team members
- Help the team decompose requirements (typically user stories) into meaningful tasks with effective estimations
- Perform code reviews to suggest, encourage, and support coding best practices
- Provide application support to software running production
- Proactively engage in the identification / remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks and software usability or end user related issues
- Perform root cause analysis, do technology evaluations, and develop quick prototypes
- Promote improvements in programming best practices
- Minimum 6 years of experience developing software applications
- Experience with Microservices and containerized deployment using Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with developing web applications using Angular or React frameworks
- Expertise in SQL (relational databases), key-value datastores, and document stores
- Experience with cloud environments (preferably Azure)
- Expert understanding of CI/CD pipelines
- Experience developing GraphQL APIs
- Experience working with Azure functions and event sourcing
- Knowledge and understanding of mobile application development using cross-platform (React Native) and/or iOS/Android native development (using Objective C/Swift or Java)
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.