There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open workspaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
General Motors is looking to hire up to one hundred (100) external candidates to indenture as Apprentices at some point between now and 2023. Submitting an application for this particular job posting does not mean that you are applying to be an Apprentice. Rather, submitting an application for this job posting is how external candidates can express their interest in a potential opportunity to be hired as an Apprentice at General Motors in the future.
Prior to applying to become a GM-UAW Apprentice, you must successfully complete the GM-UAW Skilled Trades Apprenticeship Readiness Certificate (STARC) program at Penn Foster by passing four (4) specific college level courses with a grade of 75% or better to work in our Manufacturing facilities or 80% or better to work in our Engineering facilities. The four (4) courses are: Basic Shop Related Mathematics, Basic Blueprint Reading for Skilled Trades, Trades Related Preparation (Spatial and Mechanical Reasoning) and Algebra 101.
If you have not done so already, you must register to take these courses at Penn Foster through this link, here . Upon successful completion of the STARC program, you will subsequently be placed on our STARC Ready List, making yourself eligible to potentially receive a job offer as a GM-UAW Apprentice in the future.
What Is An Apprenticeship?
As with all US-Department of Labor registered apprenticeship training programs, the Apprentice will enroll in, and complete required classroom training curriculum outlined by their local joint Apprentice Committee. The course work will require up to 672 hours of related technical instruction in a classroom setting and approximately 7920 hours of on the job training with an assigned qualified Journeyperson. An Apprenticeship allows for a unique opportunity to acquire the necessary skills to become a skilled trades journeyperson through on the job learning with current GM-UAW skilled tradespersons, along with related technical training. General Motors pays for wages, as well as applicable technical training and transportation for this training.
As a GM-UAW Apprentice you would learn what it takes to keep a world class manufacturing facility operating at peak capacity. As an Apprentice in manufacturing you may have the opportunity to learn, utilize, maintain, and troubleshoot highly technical manufacturing equipment and processes, including robots, vision applications, dies, fixtures, CNC machining, PLC, and diagnostic tools. If your interest is in Engineering, a GM-UAW Apprentice in engineering would have the opportunity to learn, utilize, maintain, build, problem solve and design new technologies and innovative concepts, including pre-production vehicles and propulsion systems, die construction, vehicle concepts and restorations. An Apprentice, in Manufacturing and/or Engineering, would learn how to communicate effectively with other tradespersons and members of Management in a fast-paced team driven environment.
- Follow established safety procedures according to OSHA standards and company procedures
- Responsible for the maintenance and repair of manufacturing equipment
- Analyze and troubleshoot malfunctions in equipment and related components, diagnosing and correcting the problems quickly to avoid production delays
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on all plant manufacturing equipment
- Promote teamwork and show a willingness to work with other departments
- Participate in continuous improvement activities
- Read and interpret drawings and wiring schematics
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving skills
Interested individuals must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete the General Motors hiring process requirements, which includes a , hair drug testing, and a background check.
- Must be able to successfully complete the GM-UAW Skilled Trades Apprenticeship Readiness Certificate (STARC) program with a grade of 75% or better for Manufacturing sites and/or 80% or better for Engineering sites
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Must be willing to work flexible shift hours and day, afternoon, or night shift as well as overtime hours daily, weekends and holidays on those shifts with little notice
- GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU NEED OR WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP TO WORK OR TO REMAIN EMPLOYED AT GM (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.).
- If you are a current GM employee operating under a collective bargaining agreement, please contact your local HR/LR for employee placement opportunities.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.