Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be on-site mont hly and to be available for travel to complete external site visits if needed as part of ESG due diligence process.
As a leader, you will provide technical guidance to the team for successful execution of commercial and operational readiness strategies for EV critical minerals .
You will collaborate with the critical materials sourcing team and cross-functional center of excellence to ensure the execution of a viable supply chain footprint that is optimized for economic value, scale, supply security, sustainability, ethics and resilience
You will take lead on the development of new processes, standards, or operational plans which relate to responsible sourcing strategies for EV minerals. This position also provides support for the organization's business strategies with a direct impact on business and function overall results.
- Work closely with diverse internal and external partners to build and maintain an in-depth understanding of the risks and opportunities as they relate to the environmental, social and ethical impact of our mining and mineral processing footprint
- Define and document the operational management of ESG conformance in the supply chain required inside GM, at GM’s cell plants, at GM’s Cathode Active Materials Tier 1 suppliers, Anode Active Materials Tier 1 suppliers and at all sub-tiers under these suppliers up to and including all downstream supply sources down to mine level, regardless of GM contracted or Tier 1 supplier contracted
- Collaborate with GM Sustainable Workplaces and Sustainable Purchasing teams to design and implement the organizational capacity, stakeholder network and knowledge strategy to effectuate responsible minerals supply chains
- Develop and lead great relationships with key stakeholders including all GM cell partners and plants
- Lead and respond to critical supply chain ESG issues
- Provide pro-active communication on issues that can impact GM’s responsible supply chain
- Collaborate with the sourcing team to execute on protection of supply and contingency plans and support ESG due diligence process on new sourcing opportunities
A minimum of 7+ years mining, environmental resources, responsible sourcing or related experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Mining Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management, or related field required
Strong communication skills working with internal and external stakeholders
Knowledge of ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) responsible mineral sourcing and mining standards
Direct experience working with human rights, GHG emissions, CO2, water, deforestation, artisanal and large-scale mining (ASM, LSM), and/or traceability
Experience with mining, refining, smelting, and/or battery component and cell manufacturing required
Previous experience defining and implementing sourcing plans
Ability to collaborate cross functionally with a large customer population (Purchasing SMTs, Engineering, Logistics, Finance, Customs, Legal, Supplier)
Background in chemical process operations would be considered highly desirable
Strong cross-functional collaboration, ability to navigate ambiguity to complete tangible solutions
Presentation experience with Executive partner
Global approach and awareness
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.