The Controls Engineer will be responsible for plant floor production support of machine controls, vision, laser marking and robotics, in a manufacturing environment where a considerable amount of creativity and initiative is required, as well as a high level of independent judgment. Additional responsibilities include specification, design, obsolescence remediation, cost projection/control, hardware/software integration, installation, commissioning, and robust documentation
- Provide technical direction to and work with maintenance personnel
- Design and problem-solving/troubleshooting of electrical controls systems
- Design, construction, integration, installation, successful launch and continuous improvement of manufacturing equipment and tools
- Provide technical direction to and oversight of outside vendor sources
- Update and retain controls documentation
- Work alongside UAW electricians and other skilled trades and their leadership
- Use of controls system knowledge to troubleshoot and improve new and existing equipment
- Handle challenging projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Apply strong technical knowledge of electrical/control systems within a manufacturing environment
- Must be willing to work all shifts
- Confirmed ability to communicate cross-functionally and across shifts
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience as a controls engineer, or automation/controls solving for industrial machinery
- Strong experience in PLC programming, HMI programming, and fieldbus networks including DeviceNet, ProfiBus, and Ethernet/IP
- Strong Controls System Background with PLC equipment such as Allen-Bradley (Logix5/500/5000, PLC 2, etc.), Siemens (Step 7, TIA Portal) and GE
- Familiarity with Fanuc CNC and/or Siemens 840D CNC systems
- Knowledge of servo motors, motion control, drives
- Ability to design and solve electrical controls systems and machine automation controls
- Previous experience in a Manufacturing Environment
- General knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic control systems
- Ability to use common controls and automation applications
- Ability to specify alternatives for obsolete components/systems
- Confirmed ability in project management skills and ability to instruct/lead others
- Knowledge of Vision systems to include: Cognex, Keyence and/or Matrox
- Knowledge of Fanuc robot systems
- EPLAN Electric P8 or AutoCAD Electrical
- Laser Marking
- Prior work experience as a Controls Engineer in the automotive industry
- Knowledge of GM’s Global Controls Architecture
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.