Hybrid - Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week.
Energy Conversion Systems (ECS) at General Motors is a fast-paced team that is working on developing technology. We're creating groundbreaking energy conversion systems (Batteries, Motors, Electrification Electronics, Drive Units, Engines, and Transmissions) that provide industry leading performance for current and future GM Vehicles. Our team is integral to achieving GM’s vision of Zero Emissions, Zero Crashes, and Zero Congestion.
In the DRE role, in the Global Electrification Battery Systems (GEBS) group, you’ll be responsible for product development activities for one of four groups within the ECS organization. We will give you the chance to create and release Energy Conversion Systems (including high voltage, lithium-ion battery components that are the latest battery technologies in General Motors electrified vehicles portfolio for both current and future vehicles.) You’ll get the opportunity to work within a collaborative team and your contributions will directly affect the quality, durability and performance of future hybrid, plugin and battery electric vehicles manufactured by GM.
In this role, creativity, initiative, and independent judgment are involved, and effective cross-organizational teamwork is needed. You’ll bring your knowledge and background to help us meet our goals and continue GM’s future success!
Selected candidates will be invited to join one of the following groups within the Energy Conversion Systems:
- Group 1 – Responsible for primarily static structural components including castings, stampings, fasteners, sealing, and battery cells.
- Group 2 – Responsible for primarily dynamic power transfer components including gears, cranktrain, lubrication, clutches, and motors
- Group 3 – Responsible for electrical components including sensors, wiring, busbars, connectors, battery module SLA, as well as air delivery and covers
- Group 4 – Responsible for primarily power electronics as well as thermal runaway protection, exhaust, and hydraulic controls
- Coordinate design and integration of ECS components
- Utilize Engineering tools and processes to successfully develop components and systems
- Effective achieve program milestones by thorough and rigorous program management
- Responsible for implementing functional strategy, administering, and coordinating programs, counseling and advising management
- Conduct technical design reviews and initiate applicable drawing reviews
- Complete and review DFMEAs and DRBFMs for all parts / design changes
- Demonstrate designs meet requirements by analysis, development, and validation
- Execute and support Peer Reviews per program milestones
- Work with component suppliers to meet program imperatives (Quality, Cost and Timing)
- Work as part of a diverse team supporting component development including mechanical design, thermal/structural/ and electrical analysis
- Work with manufacturing to ensure build ability and to resolve quality requirements
- Provide Program Management and execution of deliverables and program team meetings
- Work with component suppliers to meet design and timing objectives
- Drive for Results
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Prioritization and decision-making skills
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Integrity and Trust
- Problem Solving
- Conflict management
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering
- 2+ years' of engineering experience
- Understanding of engineering theory
- High level of analytical ability where problems are complex
- Time management skills to meet agreed upon customer deliverables, able to manage multiple projects
- Proficient computer skills including analyzing data, creating presentations
- Interpersonal styles and communication skills to work effectively with local and international team members
- Technical writing ability to create written engineering evaluation reports
- Ability to read, interpret and generate engineering drawings and specifications
- Familiarity with CAD and CAE
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Engineering
- 4+ years’ experience with a major automotive OEM
- Ideally, selected candidate will not exceed 7 years of applicable experience
- Understanding of energy storage systems principles
- Understanding of GD&T principles
- Experience with ‘build to print’ parts – or – experience writing specifications and managing suppliers with ‘build to spec’ parts
- Experience with structural, thermal NVH analysis tools
- Experience managing suppliers on critical timelines
- Design for Six Sigma Certification
- Experience with Unigraphics NX
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.