Leads guides and directs a small to large group of strategy focused individuals/teams responsible for the development of new strategies and plans based on business needs. Leads the execution of delivering strategic direction and competitive data cross-functionally to a variety of teams. Provides technical leadership to work teams. Conducts regularly scheduled group meetings, communicates strategy findings to leadership at all levels. Manages teams that provide internal clients with competitive feedback on consumer trends, product concepts, portfolios, segment trends, technologies and sales concpets as well as other relevant business issues. Consult and collaborate with cross-functional teams to frame business needs and translate those into strategic direction. Understands key strategic issues facing GM and works to direct teams to provide valuable infomration in support of the company with an external consumer and competitive perspective. Develop and deliver effective presentations and written reports to multiple GM leadershop levels and functions. This job description is intended to set forth the core functions required for this position and describe the general nature of the work performed by employees in this position. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to do this job. Employees may be assigned additional responsibilities as needed. The company reserves the discretion to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of the company’s business, competitive considerations or the work environment changes. This document describes the position as currently available and is not an employment contract.
This role manages a multi-disciplinary group and directs portfolio spend to shape the vehicle, infotainment, connectivity, intelligent driving, and digital product vision, roadmap, and experience for GM’s premium import business (GMPI) in China. The role reports directly to the head of China digital business team and indirectly to the President and Managing Director of The Durant Guild.
The role manages teams in 5 main categories: Vehicle product planning and marketing, Intelligent Connected Vehicle (ICV) products and services, Digital Channel Management, Program Management, and Digital Design (UX/UI). The group monitors and works closely with the customer, business, and market to understand trends, priorities, and goals and designs ideal products and services to address or achieve them. Team members work closely with GMPI Technical Delivery and GM Engineering teams to find technical solutions to best achieve the intended design.
A successful candidate can lead the strategy, planning, product development, and digital operations of a successful digital operation in China. Familiarity with technical planning and architecture, software development processes, backoffice systems and services is a plus.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify market opportunities & lead strategy and planning of future vehicle portfolio and ICV products and services to optimize revenue and enterprise value for GMPI
- Develop and maintain customer-facing digital channels (mobile apps, websites, WeChat mini-app)
- Develop and maintain internal digital tools (i.e., Payment, CRM, etc.)
- Develop digital design strategies to deliver cohesive, world-class experiences our customers will love
- Lead EV strategies around wall charger, digital experience, charging coverage, and benefits package
- Develop ICV commercialization strategy & manage and operate ICV services
- Steer disciplined digital product development process and coordinate with local teams on program deliverables management as well as drive/support gate reviews and decision approvals
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent product knowledge – both vehicle portfolio planning, ICV, and digital domains
- 10-15 years leadership experience in digital and connected vehicle areas
- Cross functional management experience preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to present data and product recommendations to senior management
- BS or BA is required, Master preferred
Skills & Abilities:
- Imperative to be able to lead, navigate and operate effectively in a Chinese start-up like environment
- High degree of adaptability with ambiguity; this is a new business model with a unique approach of direct to consumer
- High degree of organizational and strategic agility to build effective teams inside GM China (with local employees) and utilize leadership acumen as team works with GM globally
- Strong business acumen and experience in both operational and strategic areas; This role is a key business decision maker inside GM China
- Managerial courage and command skills
- Shrewd negotiator with ability to relate current context and past precedent as impact on future decisions
- Proven ability to understand complex business issues and be able to make good judgment when faced with trade-off
- Patience and perseverance especially when dealing with daily operational environment
- Ability to excel in dynamic, fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
Final level to offer is subject to the candidate's background and experience
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.