General Motors is seeking an attorney to join its Legal Staff to support GM’s digital and innovation business teams. The attorney will be responsible for providing strategic legal advice and commercial transactional support to Company personnel on innovative technology, product, and customer initiatives. This person will report to the Lead Counsel for Digital Business and Global Innovation practice area
General Motors is in the midst of a great transformation and is looking for individuals who can help it excel in its pursuit of a world of zero emissions, zero accidents and zero congestion. This role supports GM’s growth initiatives and innovative technologies to shape the future of the automotive industry. This role calls for an exceptional legal collaborator who has excellent legal and business acumen, exemplary judgment, personal integrity and experience in starting new businesses or incubating new businesses in a larger corporate context. The ideal candidate will have business savvy and strategic vision, experience with sophisticated transactions and advising technology companies and is able to successfully partner with cross-functional teams. The successful candidate will be an initiative-taker who has been successful in nimble, demanding environments, and who brings strong problem-solving skills along with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Developing a thorough understanding of and familiarity with GM’s businesses, products, future goals, and the regulatory schemes under which it operates.
- Partnering with digital business and innovation business teams who are leading GM’s development of new technology products and services through all stages of product and feature development, managing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Structuring, negotiating, and advising on a variety of agreements for internal and external transactions, including commercial contracts, licensing agreements, SaaS agreements, customer-facing policies, marketing communications, and terms of service.
- Providing legal advice to technical and business teams on the development, delivery, sale, and operation of industry-leading connected technologies delivered through automotive vehicles and other mobile devices with an emphasis on compliance and a world class customer experience.
- Counseling clients on and helping implement appropriate corporate governance processes for new businesses.
- Counseling clients on technical, contractual, and regulatory issues on emerging issues.
- Coordinating with regional counsel around the world to develop and deliver common solutions to shared digital business initiatives.
- Collaborating with corporate development, intellectual property, privacy, and cybersecurity legal and business experts, with strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and successfully partner with others.
- Developing and implementing process improvement initiatives to improve efficiency of legal and business activities.
- Supporting other Legal Staff members on a project management basis, creating an “engaged” team culture.
- Law degree from accredited law school with excellent academics; graduation from nationally recognized law schools a strong plus.
- Membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of relevant legal experience.
- Familiarity with software and high technology industries, customer-facing technology products and experience in drafting and negotiating relevant agreements to support the business.
- Experience helping start-ups or incubating new businesses, including app and software-based businesses.
- Self-starter personality, be a quick learner with strong internal motivation, and be possessed of initiative, integrity, and resilience.
- Strong communication (written and oral) skills are required, particularly in clearly and concisely describing complex legal issues to business clients, management and legal colleague, as are critical and analytical thinking.
- Excellent business judgment.
- Strong attention to detail, ability to efficiently navigate through ambiguous situations, and bias for action.
- Ability to collaborate, form relationships, gain credibility, and partner up and down a matrixed organization.
- Strategic Orientation: actively challenges strategic assumptions and frameworks within own area when necessary; is guided by future possibilities rather than constrained by current realities in generating strategy; integrates understanding of current and future trends into preemptive action that shapes the direction of the business.
- Client Focus: Serve and build value-added relationships with customers or clients, both internal and external.
- Results Orientation: Drive for improvement of business results, take ownership of workload management, and create better ways of doing things to achieve higher levels of performance; identifies and examines alternatives; works smarter not just harder.
- Change Leadership: Actively manage change, focus on larger purpose and strategy when promoting change, and take an active role in promoting change initiatives in their area.
Compensation: The expected base compensation for this role is : $165,000- $201,000 . Actual base compensation within the identified range will vary based on factors relevant to the position.
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays.
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.