About the Role
At General Motors (GM) Information Technology (IT), we are driving significant transformation in the automotive industry. From designing and constructing the next generation of electric and other vehicles to delivering an exceptional GM experience for our dealers and customers, our team is at the forefront of innovation. We specialize in providing unique enterprise-wide IT solutions using cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud computing, vehicle engineering, and real-time computing. If you are a passionate professional looking to advance your career in an organization focused on innovation, speed, and business value, we have challenging positions available for you.
GM IT is currently seeking experienced and proven technical experts in various Mainframe technology areas. These professionals will play a crucial role in supporting our long-term strategic plans to maximize the efficiencies offered by IBM Parallel Sysplex. As a member of our team, you will be responsible for a range of tasks, including maintenance, performance optimization, capacity management, master scheduling, service continuity, implementation of global monitoring and automation solutions, and ensuring best-in-class availability across GM's mainframe platforms.
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry. We have fully transitioned from a nearly completely outsourced IT function to a fully insourced model. Our Mainframe team has successfully re-platformed all Mainframe applications from the insourced lpars to new data sharing Sysplex environments.
As a z/OS Mainframe Systems Programmer, you will work closely and collaboratively with other teams and organizations involved in the deployment, management, and support of our mainframe platforms. This includes working closely with vendors, infrastructure groups, database administrators (DBAs), and application teams. Your responsibilities will encompass proactive installation, monitoring, management, control, and upgrade of hardware and software across GM's mainframe landscape.
- Leader in the mainframe space. Ability to articulate and document mainframe product roadmap and bring a team on that journey.
- Provides thought leadership and Technical Architect support for HW and SW solutions
- Experience in the wider IT infrastructure and the interfaces with the z/OS platform (APIs/CICD software development pipelines/Linux)
- The ability to translate product roadmaps to real business value.
- 5+ years’ relevant technical experience
- An Arts/Science degree or STEM qualification advantageous.
- Responsible for implementing all or part of technical solution in accordance with an agreed technical design and GM standards.
- Provides technical support and input on the application of technology to a defined business segment.
- Proactively identify opportunities for automation and own through to implementation.
- Ensures project learning’s are documented and shared.
- Experienced in troubleshooting, researching, and resolving multipart issues.
- Owns and produces documentation. Ability to translate technical details into concise and easy to understand written form.
- Established as Product SME and/or established as Product specialist
- Ability to support systems in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Vendor interaction experience (including experienced in searching their knowledge databases).
- Observe mainframe standards and audit requirements.
- Work well as part of a team.
- Cross company collaboration with one team mindset.
- Working knowledge and skills with the standard z/OS tools. Db2 and/or IMS knowledge and experience advantageous.
- Knowledge of SMP/E (commands, terminology, problem determination). Ability to use SMP/E to apply maintenance, perform installs, and maintain SMP/E environments.
- Knowledge with REXX, CLIST, ASSEMBLER, PYTHON, or other relevant mainframe programming with examples of code available on request.
- Working knowledge and skills with RACF.
- Demonstrable understanding of the z/OS subsystems, DASD Storage concepts and the command usage relating to these system components. Includes knowledge of job submission, priority, and performance with WLM in a z/OS system.
- Ability to utilize system diagnostics to arrive at problem solutions (Messages and Codes, dumps, console messages, IBM Redbooks etc.)
Hybrid: Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.