About the Role
From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing.
We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed, and business value.
GM Information Technology is seeking to attract experienced and proven technical experts in various Mainframe technology areas that support our long-term strategic plans to further leverage the efficiencies possible with IBM Parallel Sysplex. The team is responsible for maintenance, performance optimization, capacity management, master scheduling, service continuity, implementation of global monitoring and automation solutions, and driving best-in-class availability across GM’s mainframe platforms.
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. The GM Mainframe team have re-platformed all Mainframe applications from the insourced lpars to new data sharing Sysplex environments.
The IMS Mainframe Systems Database Systems Programmer will work with other organizations in the deployment, management, and support of all mainframe databases worldwide.
This includes but is not limited to: working closely with database vendors, infrastructure groups, DBAs, and application teams to proactively install database software (Db2 and IMS), monitor, manage, control, and upgrade (configuration, patching, refresh) consistently across GM’s mainframe database landscape. This individual will be responsible for performance optimization, capacity management, master scheduling, resolving production control issues and DBMS problems, implementation of global monitoring and automation solutions driving best-in-class availability across GM’s mainframe database platforms.
Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week.
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals to work in an organization with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
Join our team and experience Information Technology at a scale and pace not seen before!
- Leader in the mainframe space. Ability to articulate and document mainframe product roadmap and bring a team on that journey.
- Provides thought leadership and Technical Architect support for HW and SW solutions
- Experience in the wider IT infrastructure and the interfaces with the z/OS platform (e.g. APIs/CICD software development pipelines/Linux)
- The ability to translate product roadmaps to real business value.
- 5+ years’ relevant technical experience
- An Arts/Science degree or STEM qualification advantageous.
- Owns and produces documentation. Ability to translate technical details into concise and easy to understand written form.
- Ability to support systems in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Knowledge of and experience with using Db2 and IMS commands to start and stop, alter buffer pools, perform recovery, list threads and determine their status, manipulate Db2 and or IMS connections with other subsystems (including CICS, MQ).
- Experience of Db2 and IMS and associated product system installs, upgrades, de-installs, application of maintenance.
- Knowledge of Db2 and IMS security.
- Working knowledge of Db2 and IMS system internals and configuration.
- Working knowledge of IBM Performance and Monitoring Products.
- Ability to utilize system diagnostics to arrive at problem solutions (Messages and Codes, dumps, console messages, IBM Redbooks etc.)
- Proficient with SMP/E (commands, terminology, problem determination). Ability to use SMP/E to apply maintenance, perform installs, and maintain SMP/E environments.
- Experienced with REXX, CLIST programming, and Dialog Manager with examples of code available on request.
- Expertise working with application development teams in large, complex organizations
- Global Information Tracker
- IBM Data Studio
- IBM Data Virtualization Manager
- IBM Db2 Administration
- IBM Db2 and IMS Connect
- IBM Db2 and IMS utilities
- IBM Db2 Log Analysis Tool
- IBM Db2 SQL Performance Analyzer
- IBM Developer for z/OS
- IBM IMS Performance Analyzer
- IBM IMS Problem Investigator
- IBM InfoSphere Data Replication Change Data Capture
- IBM Modernize IT Operations Management
- IBM Query Monitor
- IBM System Modification Program Extended
- IBM UrbanCode Deploy
- IBM Z Workload Scheduler
- IBM’s InfoSphere Replication Server for z/OS
- IMS Catalog
- IMS Explorer
- IMS Repository
- InfoSphere Optim for Db2 for z/OS
Hybrid: Position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time but the general expectation is that the employee be onsite an average of three (3) days each week
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.