GM's Design Fabrication group is seeking an Engineering Manager who will manage a team of designers and engineers who support the development and build of concept vehicles and Design property builds for internal leadership and external public reveals. In this role, you will provide support, leadership and technical direction to the Design Fabrication team and collaborate with the Design Studios, all Fabrication Shops, outside vendors, material suppliers, and the program management team to ensure successful, on time builds of studio properties and concept vehicles.
Come join a team that plays an integral part of creating some of the most exciting vehicles in the automotive industry!
This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Exhibits a safety approach while identifying, taking ownership, and resolving safety concerns and supporting the safety champions of each space in Design
- Fabrication Domain Professional
- Guides respective shops and groups to build all DFO properties to a high level of quality, in less time
- Stimulate an environment of teamwork, support teams in property builds, and support multi-disciplined teams to increase throughput in DFO
- Provide feedback on team performance to leadership, identify gaps in skills and processes, provide mentorship to correct skill gaps. Work towards continuous improvement.
- Comprehend and execute models to program timelines and all relating model quality requirements with speed and accuracy.
- Frequently assists in developing solutions to engineering and design problems
- Develop, plan and execute strategies for vehicle and component fabrication in a dynamic environment
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and or Managerial subject area or equivalent experience
- Excellent collaborative communication skills with customers and all stakeholders
- Demonstrates the courage to make the changes that will improve the organization and helps others overcome their resistance to change
- A drive for innovation and exploration of new processes and build practices that increase quality and dependability with competitive timing
- Proficiency with Siemens NX CAD software and proven modeling processes
- Proficiency with Alias and knowledge of surfacing processes
- High level of fabrication knowledge and ability relative to concept vehicles and properties
- Experience in mold and tool making and related materials.
- Ability to evaluate highly complex build issues and recommend processes and material choices for each component
- Capable of bench engineering unique solutions for complex build issues
- Demonstrates behaviors that support diversity and inclusion within the organization
- Knowledge of machine tools, additive manufacturing, welding, metal, paint and woodworking technologies and equipment and all processes for property fabrication
- Ability to influence others within the organization to accept new concepts, practices, and approaches
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent technical breadth, organizational, administrative and leadership skills
- Skilled at drafting purchasing documents; Statement of Requirements, Business Cases, Sourcing Documents etc. and GPSC procurement processes
- Proven ability to form relationships with suppliers to address issues with urgency, remove roadblocks, and develop near term innovation strategy
- Functional understanding of prototype/show vehicle structure, including chassis engineering, suspension components, and electronic innovation
- Functional understanding of motors, actuators, and illumination that are likely to be encountered in prototype vehicles
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.