At BrightDrop, we are reshaping e-commerce by developing smarter, greener, and more efficient ways to deliver goods and services to your door, while delivering a brighter future for the cities where we live. We are building an ecosystem of all-electric, zero-emissions delivery solutions – from electric vehicles, to ePallets and software that leverages real-time data to drive intelligent optimizations for e-commerce. To deliver on our mission we are growing fast and building a team, based in Palo Alto, with offices in Atlanta and Detroit, that is customer-focused, agile and passionate about innovating for a more sustainable future.
From engineering to product management and operations, BrightDrop is looking for people who can combine a passion for technology and sustainability with high doses of curiosity and rigorous thinking to deliver a better future.
Backed by General Motors, BrightDrop is striving to improve the communities where we live and deliver a better future for generations to come. We hope you’ll join us.
In this IT Backend Software Engineer role, you will develop key elements of the application and infrastructure for BrightDrop’s custom applications supporting customers, partners, and internal stakeholders. We are an innovation first team, and we need your help to ensure we meet the highest standards. In this new team we need your best creative thinking to create a beautiful and intuitive experience that you are proud of. Come join us and let’s innovate!
What you get to do in this role:
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Program Managers, Business Users, Developers, and Architects to design and develop new features
- Work closely with onshore and offshore teams to coordinate and ensure good test coverage and correct deployment planning
- Build, maintain and improve current backend integrations. services infrastructure
- Explore new technologies and enrich our technological stack
- Actively participate in technical discussions and deep dives with Architecture
- Conduct code reviews for peers and third-party providers to ensure software quality meets standards prior to release
- Collaborate with DevOps to continuously improve automation for our applications
- 5+ years of hands-on backend software development in Java Spring Boot
- Strong CS fundamentals, including OO concepts, data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems
- 5 + years experience with at least one of the public cloud providers Azure, AWS, GCP. Azure preferred
- Experience with Kubernetes
- NoSQL databases like Cosmos DB, DynamoDB, Bigtable, HBase, Cassandra
- Docker, Kubernetes, Serverless, CloudFormation
- Experience with Azure APIM and Mulesoft a plus
- Git and source control management tools such as Bitbucket, GitHub
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience preferred
ADDITIONAL SKILLS & CAPABILITIES INCLUDE:
- Solid verbal, writing and Microsoft Office skills
- Experience with Azure DevOps
- High level of interpersonal skills, integrity, work ethic
- Experience with successfully managing small/medium sized projects in a matrix environment
- Ability to gather and interpret complex quantitative or qualitative data
- Exhibit excellent analysis skills, with the capability to quickly transform data into information
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration skills and willingness to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- Develop and document complex IT, Finance, Legal, Supplier, HR and/or communications processes, policies or procedures
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.