Position requires an employee to be onsite on a full-time basis.
Factory ZERO is our first, all-electric automotive assembly plant and the blueprint of General Motors' electric future! We have a corporate vision of “Zero crashes, Zero emissions, Zero congestion.” Our most novel products like the Hummer EV and our very first autonomous vehicle, Cruise Origin will be assembled right in this facility. This requires us to employ the most upbeat, capable, and innovative talent to ensure we meet the challenges of developing the new manufacturing processes required to assemble these outstanding products!
The Paint Shop Process Engineer has responsibility for engaging in machine and plant maintenance along with process control activities in a department, group of departments, shift or plant operations. They will oversee collaborating with production/maintenance personnel, plant leadership and others outside the plant (Manufacturing Engineering, suppliers, etc.) as needed to resolve issues, implement improvements, and communicate status and opportunities, etc. This requires excellent communication, planning and organizational skills to effectively collaborate cross-functionally.
What You’ll Do:
- Ensure that paint processes are maintained and running effectively for vehicle production
- Problem-solve (analyze data, determine root causes, develop implementation plans) and resolve issues which are affecting paint shop metrics and document appropriately
- Supervise all assigned indirect process personnel and production personnel
- Build and maintain working relationships with employees, union, management and suppliers
- Proactively identify and pursue opportunities to improve operations by reducing costs, reducing energy usage, improve quality, etc.
- Supports the design and engineering of maintenance, utility and construction projects to meet existing and projected requirements
- Provide technical support for specific plant operations
- Keeps abreast of current product developments and trends in areas of expertise
- Understand and execute PFMEA, Process Control Plans, manufacturing processes, and management systems as they relate to production operations
- Support implementation of Global Manufacturing Systems (GMS) and Business Plan Deployment (BPD) activities
- Must be willing to rotate shifts, and be available to work overtime including weekends.**
Your Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 2 years’ of Paint Shop experience at an Automotive Manufacturing Plant/Supplier
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing related field or equivalent experience
- Ability to interpret blueprints, engineering drawings and learn new systems
- Knowledge of Automotive Paint Process areas (PTED, Sealer, Topcoat, and Paint Mix Room)
- Proven technical and professional skills in Manufacturing/Assembly Plant
- Knowledge of tooling and Continuous Improvement and manufacturing processes
What Will Give You a Competitive Edge:
- Knowledge of Red X, Six Sigma, or other problem-solving techniques
- Experience/knowledge of GM Global Manufacturing System (GMS)
- Knowledge of Fanuc robots (P-500, P-700), PaintPro software, Versabell III
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.