Our team is looking for a creative and highly energetic Systems Safety Engineer who can lead System Safety work and craft our approach for future innovations in the Active Safety and Automated Driving! In this role you will apply systems level thinking and partner across the engineering organization to deploy System Safety solutions across our diverse and evolving technology set.
In this position you will be a fully qualified contributor who has thorough knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the department. You will possess a broad technical knowledge, training and understanding combined with creative and independent thinking and conceptual ability to related work performed within their department.
Promotes GM's values and makes customer-focused decisions.
- Drive systems safety analysis, hazard identification, and risk mitigation efforts using both qualitative and quantitative methods
- Decompose the top-level system functions, and behaviors into a set of safety requirements that detail expected end-to-end system behavior to implement a holistic safety strategy
- Develop and maintain clear development pipelines, workflows, and dashboards for these functions, partnering closely with cross-functional teams to develop & deploy a safety strategy that balances feature availability & performance
- Lead the system safety development with GM, Momenta and suppliers
- Support definition of the validation & verification plan for safety requirements that evaluates the end-to-end implementation of the function
- Collaborate with suppliers to facilitate timely delivery of safety critical system content
- Mentor organizational partners on safety critical system and process-specific knowledge, working with Senior System Safety engineers as needed.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or another related Engineering degree
- Minimum 2 years of post-graduation engineering experience in product safety development with active safety or automated driving features including Human machine interactions
- Familiarity with ISO 26262 or other functional safety standards such as IEC 61508, IEC 62304, or DO-178C
- Hands-on experience with hazard analysis, FMEA, FTA and software safety analysis and other safety analysis tools and techniques
- Ability to understand complex technical systems
- Basic project management skills
- Ability to collaborate with diverse teams globally
- Knowledge of ADAS and AD architecture
- Knowledge of in-vehicle communication networks (CAN, Ethernet)
- Master’s Degree
- 2 or more years of engineering experience with systems, or active safety features including Human machine interactions
- Experience with Object Sensing technologies (camera, radar, lidar), sensor rationalization schemes and related limitations
- Software design, analysis, development and validation
- Machine learning, simulation methods and data acquisition
- Understanding of emerging standards such as ISO 21448 (Safety of the Intended Function) and UL 4600.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.