- Perform General Ledger functions; assure accuracy, timeliness, and conformity with professional accounting standards and best practices in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Identify, interpret and analyze potential accounting risks and issues
- Research and analyze accounting transactions and contracts
- Identify and execute internal controls, SOX compliance and financial procedures
- Partner with Finance to determine accounting implications of transactions and perform analytical analyses to utilize when making all material business decisions
- Assist with internal and external financial reporting - including analyzing consolidated results, drafting SEC documents and management review reports, ensuring quality, and administering strict timeline
- Evaluate current accounting practices and policies and drive continuous improvement
- Research and interpret new accounting standards and brainstorm how each applies to GM as well as comply with external 10-Q/10-K reporting requirements
The General Motors Finance group is seeking to identify highly motivated and qualified individuals for potential future opportunities. In anticipation of these opportunities becoming available, if you are interested in learning more about GM, completing this profile will allow us to stay connected.
We are seeking to identify highly motivated and qualified individuals, who are flexible to accept roles within controllership. Teams include General Accounting, Fixed Assets, Treasury, Product Cost & Inventory, Tax Compliance, Statutory Accounting, Intercompany, and Accounts Receivable - Accounts Payable.
Key responsibilities and duties:
· Identify, interpret, and analyze potential accounting risks and issues on a regional and global basis
· Consolidation individual market, region, and global disclosures
· Partner with Controllership and other GBS stakeholders to determine accounting implications of transactions and perform analytical analyses to utilize when making all material business decisions
· Prepare financial analysis on monthly/quarterly/annual results and special transactions
· Assist with internal and external financial reporting - including analyzing consolidated results, drafting SEC documents and management review reports, ensuring quality, and administering strict timeline
· Research and interpret new accounting standards and brainstorm how each apply to GM as well as comply with external 10-Q/10-K reporting requirements
· Evaluate current accounting practices and policies and drive continuous improvement initiatives of multiple regions
· Draft disclosure language, such as management discussion and analysis (MD&A) disclosures and footnotes, and maintain records to support the filing of 10-K and 10-Q forms with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
· Analyze proposed changes to draft filing documents for compliance with U.S. SEC disclosure requirements, Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) standards and U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), evaluating and documenting the completeness and sufficiency across GM’s disclosures for compliance therewith
· Gather and evaluate submissions from process owners for inclusion in disclosures and for compliance with U.S. GAAP and FASB requirements
· File relevant documents with the U.S. SEC in adherence to prescribed U.S. SEC regulations and guidelines.
· Investigate and correct inconsistent accounting data, identifying and resolving the root causes of reporting inconsistencies
· Recommend continuing process and internal accounting control improvements
· Interact with global GM Controllership colleagues and review working papers to ensure that all regulatory requirements for filings are met
· Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines due to financial statement filings
Qualifications, Skills and Technical Knowledge Requirements:
· Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification
· Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting or related discipline
· Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in accounting/finance industry
· Intermediate understanding of US GAAP, IFRS, and SOX /Internal Control Requirements
· Public accounting and audit experience preferred
· Regional and/or global experience preferred
· Knowledge of corporate finance principles including ability to perform balance sheet analysis, net income statement analysis, cash flow statement analysis, knowledge of debt structures, etc.
· Can provide accurate, timely and reliable reporting and controls
· Structured presentations in straightforward, efficient manner
· Working knowledge of SAP, Hyperion/Smart View
· Excellent analytical and interpersonal communication skills
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of in situations where only limited standardization exists
· Experience working in a multinational organization and working with colleagues internationally is preferred
· Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office applications
· Basic Automotive Industry knowledge preferred
· Experience with data consolidation is a plus
· Flexibility with the shift (day, mid, night shift available)
Important Note: Candidates must be willing to attend our onsite hiring this August.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.