Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to be onsite approximately 3 days per week
Battery State Estimation: This area implements the algorithms responsible for monitoring the battery state of health, such as battery pack capacity, battery limits, and battery pack state of charge based on cell chemistry. The team also provides voltage, current and power limits for charging and driving, as well as performing active cell balancing of the battery pack for improved efficiency. Additionally, this team works closely with R&D to help productionize future models and integrate them into production software and with calibration and testing teams to investigate and resolve issues.
With new battery cell chemistries new challenges are presented to the Battery State Estimation space: This role will mainly work with Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) chemistry-based battery cells.
What You’ll do:
Support the growth of controls and diagnostic capability to keep General Motors at the forefront of technology in the electrification area by:
- Provide leadership to multi-disciplinary engineering teams to understand functional requirements and implement appropriate controls solutions
- Lead the development of controls and diagnostics subsystem level requirements that ensure compliance with safety requirements and with government regulations and GM-internal policies
- Ensure subsystem level test requirements and the verification of the controls and diagnostic design
- Optimize controls design through modeling, simulation, data collection, and analysis
- Lead the development of controls-oriented models by selecting the appropriate method to control and/or diagnose a given feature while considering system characteristics and constraints with input from cross functional teams
- Help define calibration strategies and promote model-based practices in algorithm strategies and calibrations
- Support resolution of vehicle, plant, or customer issues related to controls and calibration
- Adhere to all safety precautions and requirements, treating safety as the top priority during all work activities
- Proactively identify warranty and performance improvement opportunities
- Lead the utilization of automated test tools in build environments, benches, and vehicles to verify functionality at the Function, Controller and System level
- Embrace BDD/TDD software development methodologies to ensure Software Built In Quality, promoting early bug detection, and facilitating collaboration between developers, testers, and non-technical stakeholders.
- Familiarize and work efficiently with Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) principles, leveraging them to create optimized and modular software solutions.
- Utilize CI/CD pipelines for efficient development, testing, and deployment of software solutions, with a solid understanding of DevOps principles.
- Be the main point of contact for collaboration with R&D organization
- Mentor new employees to help increase capabilities and share knowledge
- Perform other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties in this job classification.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- BS in Engineering of Electrical, Mechanical, Computer or BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of experience with proven technical and professional skills in Controls of High Voltage Battery Systems
- Skilled with Simulink, MATLAB, DOORs and GIT environment(s); plant modeling and analysis tools
- Experienced working in SAFe environment
- Proficient oral and written communication skills
- Ability to set and balance priorities efficiently
- Strong ability to function within and drive change.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects and assignments with autonomy and accountability for results
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Strong partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, take initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
- Consistent demonstration of innovative thinking that is customer-centric
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Skills)
- 3+ years of experience with proven technical and professional skills in High Voltage Battery State Estimation
- MS in Engineering, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer or MS in Computer Science
- Experience in C, C++ programming
- Experience in High Voltage Battery controls algorithms
- In-depth knowledge of Algorithm & Software development and calibration of vehicle motion controls
- Knowledge in electrification and diagnostics
- Experience in plant modeling and analysis tools, MIL, SIL, HIL Testing
- Understanding of GM Vehicle Development Process
- DFSS Black Belt certification, highly preferred
- SAFe certification
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.