GM Supplier Quality Engineers (SQEs) prioritize safety in everything we do, while maintaining an inclusive work environment, to protect our customers in support of GM’s vision of Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion. A GM SQE is primarily responsible to execute the Advanced Product Quality Planning process with their assigned suppliers. They adopt a flexible workplace approach to achieve results within defined metrics and expectations and lead their suppliers in strategic improvements. Traveling to supplier and GM facilities is necessary to ensure robust quality plans are in place and executed (up to approximately 50% of the working days per year). Trips will vary in frequency, duration, and location based on assignments.
As a GM SQE, your core responsibility is the execution of the Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) process. This typically includes review of program progress to milestones and identifying/mitigating risks to GM and our customers. You will also assure supplier understanding of, and compliance to, APQP processes such as Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Quality plans (Control Plans, FMEA), and Run at Rate verification.
Taking a proactive approach is critical to your success as a GM SQE. Reviewing manufacturing processes and quality systems to identify risks and prevent issues protects GM and our customers. We work to build our suppliers’ performance through technical support, continuous improvement activities, and assistance in identifying opportunities during launch, ongoing production, and implementation of changes. You will develop, maintain, and ensure adherence to GM standards while verifying our suppliers’ quality and manufacturing processes identify and protect our customers when those requirements are not met.
Your ability to quickly collaborate with cross-functional teams to facilitate, or lead, root cause analysis and corrective actions determination when issues arise is pivotal for this role. Successful SQEs look to tackle problems quickly. You will also verify on-site implementation of their supplier’s corrective actions and the appropriate read-across of the learnings.
1, Co-work with Engineering and purchasing for pre-sourcing activities:
• Participant in technical review with buyer and engineering for advanced sourcing support
• Conduct new supplier assessment by PSA or PCPA, and approve or develop new suppliers per request to support buyer for new program sourcing
2, Supplier management for APQP monitoring and flawless launch:
• Participate in regular PDT meeting and take an active role for Open Issues review and moving.
• Conduct joint Supplier Readiness Valve review with cross-functional team within required date, conduct EPC(GP12) audit, PPAP and Run @ Rate approval, escalate risk and drive issue resolved timely.
• Work with global engineering for DFMEA/PFMEA connectivity and risk mitigation.
• Ensure required material with required quality for each launch build by on-site confirmation.
3, Supplier management for mass production and warranty issue:
• Lead supplier problem solving for customer complaint (PPO/ Plant/ Warranty) in time. Follow SPPS/ PRTS steps in time. Create supplier lessons learned for Global Read Across and delivery Global Read Across to suppliers.
• Train and develop supplier to meet BIQS requirement.
• Conduct supplier process audit regularly, drive supplier PFMEA/ PCP/ WI compliant and being implemented.
• Drive supplier continuous improvement by Red-X, OPEX and DFSS tool
• Participate or lead global SQ-SOR S-PCPA creation or modification
• Urgent quality/ material or tooling development support for GM other regions
• Global support/ JV support per business need
- Joint venture connection for common supplier management strategy and workshops
• Bachelor’s degree or above under engineering background.
• At least 5 years automatic industry experience, GM business experience is preferred.
- Prefer strong knowledge on painting or chroming process
• Program Management and/ or quality relative experience, strong knowledge of AIAG quality tools (APQP, PPAP, FMEA, MSA and SPC).
• Experienced on injection molding process required
• Demonstrated ability to investigate quality problems and to develop possible solution.
• Strong knowledge of GM procedures, tools, such as GM1927, BIQS.
- Strong communication skill on driving business result, with fluent English capability both in written and oral. Workshop organizing ability.
- Agility of new technology, curious and quick to learn new knowledge.
• Able to travel on short notice, travel frequency 50%+
• Be flexible to rapidly respond to new situations and multi-task.
• Be willing to conduct and participate in cross function team conference calls outside normal working hours.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.