This role will require the employee to be onsite on a full time basis.
The Advanced Cell Process Team is looking for talented and self-driven individuals to fill our Senior Process Engineer role. EV battery cell technology is advancing rapidly with regular breakthrough announcement from startups all over the globe. Yet, manufacturing feasibility of these technologies remains a big unknown for high volume implementation. This role offers the opportunity to leverage solid electrochemical engineering and industrial process development experience to evaluate manufacturing feasibility and develop/implement innovative process concepts for advanced battery cell technologies. This role is a part of our Global Propulsion Systems organization for manufacturing engineering. Work is performed in a team environment where you will have regular interactions with other manufacturing engineering centers, as well as, Advanced Product Engineering (Adv PE), Research & Development (R&D)
What You'll Do
- Proactively engage with cross-functional teams (R&D/Adv PE) to understand advanced battery chemistries roadmap and their implications on high volume manufacturing feasibility
- Propose, develop and execute process strategies for high volume implementation of advanced battery cell design concepts, engaging external partners if needed
- Be familiar with current battery cell manufacturing progress and actively scout potential innovative manufacturing processes for yield and OEE improvements
- Lead development activities focused on material interactions with cell manufacturing processes and their impact on battery cell electrochemical performance
- Support advanced EV battery cell program cost model development
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications):
- 7+ years of industrial process development experience for electrochemical systems (e.g., battery cells, fuel cells, ultracapacitors etc.)
- Demonstrated understanding of conventional electrochemical cell design, manufacturing process flow and functionality within a manufacturing environment
- Familiarity with electrochemical analytic and cell performance evaluation techniques such as half cell testing, 3 Electrode testing, Cyclic Voltammetry (CV), Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS), Hybrid Pulse Power Characterization (HPPC), Direct Current Internal Resistance (DCIR), cycle life tests, etc.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrochemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Material Science
What Will Get You a Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications):
- Master's degree in Electrochemical Engineering
- Experience with specification and procurement of new equipment
- Experience with high volume manufacturing
- Statistical problem-solving training such as OpEx or DFSS Blackbelt and experience with statistical software packages such as MINITAB, JMP etc
- Demonstrated think outside the box ability and creativity, for examples, invention filing and granted patents
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.