This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work from a GM innovation center for 3 days a week. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility.
About the Role:
Are you searching for a unique position that we will not only work hands-on writing software or solutions but will drive the underlying design and architecture supporting those solutions? This exciting opportunity will give to all development activities that align with appropriate methodologies and application of a repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to the development process.
- You will advise software developers and will approve the software being developed and deployed in their domain.
- Full lifecycle System development using standard design patterns/frameworks.
- You will experience designing software or solution architecture in accordance with GM standards and industry standard methodologies
About the General Motors Strategic Cloud Acceleration Office
- The GM IT Strategic cloud acceleration Office operates beyond the horizon of current capability across GM and the industry, focusing on developing and delivering next generation technology solutions.
- We are building a team to accelerate the cloud adoption of applications across GM
- The SCA Cloud Solution Delivery team needs a highly technical software security engineer to join our team in support of GM’s “cloud transformation”.
- As a senior cloud security architect, you will work closely with architects and leaders within the Enterprise Technology Services, SIO, cloud center of excellence, Information Security and Global Telecom organizations to bring the next generation of best practices, tools and automation that enables the secure development of a hybrid cloud.
- You will be part of a swat team responsible for cloud enablement & operations supporting cloud native GM applications.
- The ideal candidate will have a strong blend of on-premises and cloud (AWS/Azure/GCP/Kubernetes), DevSecOps practices (CI/CD) & software automation experience, exposure to software designed networks, zero trust security model, micro segmentation and other cloud enabling technologies. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of IAM tools, handling identity and access management across clouds is via federation, network security, SPIFFE, SPIRE and Tornjak.
- The candidate will have a passion for learning, troubleshooting and hands on experience with full stack development and are deeply committed to improving the value delivered to multiple lines of businesses within GM.
Joining the GM SCAO team gives you the opportunity to:
- Work on disruptive products that’s still in its early stages and influence the next generation IT operating model.
- This role will be responsible for developing and supporting a comprehensive cloud platform strategy, devops roadmap and automation capabilities to enable high quality and reliable solutions – platforms, systems, components, software, and standards – that fuel our current and new generation of products and platforms.
As a senior member of our engineering team, you will own:
- The full stack technology and drive the technical direction
- You will be solving complex problems, and working on difficult challenges in software engineering as the scale and suite of our services grow
- You will work with key stake holders in product management and executive teams to define strategy and requirements
- You will lead cross functional development of new technology from design to deployment
Joining the GM SCAO team gives you the opportunity to:
- Work on disruptive products that’s still in its early stages
- Deliver technology solutions that will leverage CPU, GPU, kubernetes and the scale of the resources in the GM internal cloud
- Be involved in data mesh
- Possessing a deep understanding of technology and latest industry trends.
- Ensuring that software is designed and developed using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies and in accordance with GM’s software development project methodology; including but not limited to standards in code quality, performance, stability, security and overall alignment and compliance with project objectives.
The candidate will be expected to be familiar and proficient with each of the following capabilities:
- Work within a DevOps security model so that security is automated and elastic across all cloud platforms
- Acts as a subject matter expert (SME) for security tools, applications and processes
- Maintain and Optimize Cloud Applications: Responsible for maintaining and optimizing cloud applications. Monitor performance, diagnose and troubleshoot issues, and make necessary changes to optimize system performance
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Platform Leads, and Information Security teams, to design and implement cloud security solutions
- Work closely with functional-area architects, engineering, and security specialists throughout the company to ensure adequate security solutions and controls are in place throughout all IT systems, cloud systems and platforms to mitigate identified risks sufficiently, and to meet business objectives and regulatory requirements
- Implement Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) Processes: Responsible for implementing and maintaining CI/CD processes for cloud-based applications. They ensure that changes are tested, approved, and deployed in an automated and secure manner
- Ensure Security and Compliance: Ensure that cloud-based applications meet security and compliance requirements. Work with CCOE, ISRM, global telecom and compliance teams to implement security and compliance controls and ensure that they are being followed
- Collaborate with IT Teams: Work closely with other IT teams, including developers, operations, and security teams. Collaborate with these teams to ensure that cloud-based applications meet the organization’s requirements and can support its goals
- 7-1 years of engineering/development experience in Java, C, Python.
- Significant background in managing complex technology challenges and working in an enterprise model
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with which you build and maintain strong multi-functional partnerships and relationships at all levels of the organization
- Agile experience preferred
- Use a data-focused approach to decision making, in day-to-day leadership and strategic tradeoff analyses
- Deep knowledge and experience of engineering principles, patterns and practices and a commitment to continuous learning and improvement.
- Computer Science or Software/Systems Engineering degree preferred
- Hands-on expertise with AWS/Azure/GCP cloud deployments and/or Cloud certifications, including cost considerations & cost optimization strategies across various services
Nice to have
- Licenses or certifications such as AWS, CISSP, CCSP, GPCS, CCSK, CISM, GSEC, X509, CSSP, CISA.
Why General Motors?
- At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest Information Technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
- GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
- Join our team and experience Information Technology at a scale and pace not seen before!
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.