We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced AI & Operations Research specialist to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in mathematics, statistics, computer science, and emerging unsupervised, supervised and reinforcement learning-based methods for optimization problems. The specialist is expected to have the skillsets to formulate and solve complex discrete and continuous optimization problems, along with communicating the results effectively to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
As part of the team, you will have access to rich business operations data for developing a mix of AI and optimization-based approaches. You will be contributing to the complete end-to-end process of developing optimization systems including understanding business requirements and available data sources, and contributing to the development, validation, and deployment of the solutions. We also encourage publishing novel research at conferences/journals or filing patents.
What You'll Do :
- Support other team members and the organization for optimization use case exploration & for architecting viable and practical solutions to solve ill-structured discrete and continuous combinatorial optimization problems.
- Formulating the optimization problem as a mathematical model, implementing/applying optimization techniques, collaborating with the machine learning specialists in identifying and developing the machine learning models feeding/supporting the optimization model, contributing to the evaluation and validation of the developed models/solutions to deliver products with the best quality and highest performance.
- Work in collaboration with the development team and IT to deploy solutions in a production environment.
- Work in a fast-paced agile environment with cross functional teams and maintain relationship with key technical and business stakeholders.
- Effective verbal and written communication of research findings and development status.
Your Skills & Abilities :
- MSc. or PhD in operations research, industrial engineering, computer science, mathematics, or other relevant technical fields.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience with developing optimization solutions.
- Previous experience as a Tech Lead or experience in a similar role.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a deep understanding of mathematical modeling and deterministic and stochastic optimization techniques (e.g., mathematical programming, deterministic search methods, stochastic derivative-free optimization, nature-inspired search algorithms and machine learning methods) along with an advanced statistics and probability background.
- Experience with unsupervised, supervised and reinforcement learning.
- Proficiency in Python along with experience in other programming languages such as Java, or C++ for algorithm development and implementation with a strong understanding of OOP.
- Experience with optimization libraries (e.g., CPLEX, Gurobi, OR-Tools, CasADi, Pymoo, PySwarms) for solving large-scale discrete and continuous multicriteria constrained optimization problems.
- Experience in designing end-to-end optimization systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge:
- Experience supporting Sales, Marketing and/or Finance functions.
- Publications and/or patents.
- Experience in relevant machine learning areas such as large language models (LLMs) as optimizers, amortized optimization and contextual multi-armed bandits.
- Familiarity with data analysis, data manipulation, and machine learning frameworks to process and interpret large datasets.
- Hands-on experience using least one machine learning framework such as Tensorflow and PyTorch.
- Experience with UNIX tools and shell scripting.
- Experience with data tools and ecosystems (Hive, Spark, etc.).
- Experience using SQL/NoSQL and knowledge in database management.
- Experience using Power BI, Tableau, and/or other visualization tools.
- Experience in deploying solutions to cloud.
Compensation and Benefits:
- GM’s Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs.
- GM’s comprehensive compensation and benefits plan is carefully designed and thoroughly benchmarked against the companies that we compete for talent in the local market .
The goal of the General Motors of Canada total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan currently includes the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and supplemental benefits for pregnancy, parental and adoption leave.
- Healthcare, dental and vision benefits including health care spending account and wellness incentive.
- Life insurance plans to cover you and your family.
- Company and matching contributions to a Defined Contribution Pension plan to help you save for retirement.
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values.
- Tuition Assistance and Employee Assistance Program.
- GM Vehicle Purchase Plan for you, your family and friends.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.