This Role Offers the Following Work Appropriately Strategy: Hybrid
This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
The Global Technical Specialist (TS) in CAE will lead capability development for gear systems, structures, and NVH CAE within the Global Electrification and Battery Systems (GEBS) division. This role will offer technical leadership and direction, aiding virtual engineering endeavors such as design, development, and validation for both existing and future programs. The TS will be responsible for the technical roadmap for Gear Systems, Structures, and NVH CAE and will prioritize enhancing capabilities and pinpointing strategic areas for future simulation growth.
What You'll Do
- Technical lead for propulsion gear systems, structures, and NVH engineers, along with global analysis support colleagues
- Lead, execute, and coordinate analysis capability development initiatives, with emphasis on development and validation virtualizations
- Integrate new processes and methods into Standard Work
- Interface with Analysis Engineers, product release teams, Technical Specialists, and suppliers to develop optimal design solutions that meet requirements
- Interface with software vendors to convey future needs and impart change
- Be a change agent to enable hardware reduction initiatives
- Work with leadership, lab partners, and program management teams Technical Specialists to identify gaps and priorities for analysis growth
- Seek out state of the art tools and methods and maintain a benchmark of industry capability and trends
- Lead analysis support for urgent product issue resolution
- Responsible to define analysis procedures for bill of design (BoD) items
- Interface with other virtual groups to establish common processes
- Communicate status to leadership and escalate issues/roadblocks within the organization, as necessary
- Represent GM for external collaborations and conferences
- Own analysis Standard Work procedures
- Provide training in new and existing procedures
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- 7+ years of experience in the application of gear systems and NVH CAE
- Experience or working knowledge in vehicle propulsion systems
- Ability to expand upon, communicate, and execute group's roadmap and vision
- Model and foster desired core values and behaviors
- Strong technical understanding of gear systems (durability, efficiency, and NVH)
- Strong technical understanding of structures and system durability
- Strong technical understanding of CAE tools, including: Masta, Trans3D, LDP, Abaqus, Simlab, Fesafe, Hypermesh, and associated tools
- Strong technical understanding of transmission/drive unit efficiency
- Expert at providing technical guidance on CAE methods and model debugging
- Demonstrated ability to assess analysis results and drive implementation of design recommendations
- Extensive knowledge of conventional and electrified propulsion systems
- Experience or working knowledge in transmissions and drive units
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Competent with conflict management and complex problem solving
- Ability to develop consensus on best practices and validity of technical solutions
- Experience in leading projects and indirect people leadership of cross-functional teams
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Qualifications)
- Experience or working knowledge in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) for CAE Engineering
- Strong technical understanding of transmission/drive units architecture
- Familiarity with analytical techniques used by interface partners (ex: CFD)
- Expertise in existing engines, transmissions, and drive units
- Familiarity with lab procedures and measurement techniques
- MS and/or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or , Aerospace Engineering with coursework in Noise and Vibration, FEA, and Physics
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.