Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to be onsite approximately 3 days per week
VMEC, Vehicle Mechatronic Embedded Controls, is a production level group that supports the definition, design, and development of all embedded controllers that impact vehicle motion. The Sub-System Lead Engineer (SSLE) is an individual contributor with recognized expertise responsible for tasks and work throughout the entire vehicle development lifecycle, including requirements definition, design and implementation, testing, and problem resolution. Agile, systems engineering, requirements and embedded controls development, and calibration knowledge are a definite plus. The drive and tenacity to grow technically and professionally while working on some of General Motors’ most exciting features is a must!
We are specifically hiring for High Voltage Energy Transfer (HVET) / Charging area - focused on optimizing system operation to quickly align GM’s charging ecosystem with the North America Charging Standard (NACS) and enable an enriching EV customer charging experience. For HVET – AC or DC - this includes establishing subsystem requirements for ensuring all vehicle side conditions are ready, maintaining stable power limits and temperature, managing the interface and communication, and terminating the charge session successfully. Additional requirements are for customer interactions, including displays, charge coupler, and mobile app. The role may also require a focus on development of requirements for Electric Vehicle state of charge, vehicle range, high voltage battery charging customer settings, etc.
What You’ll do:
- Lead complex sub-system analysis to define functional controls and requirements, including I/O Interface requirements (e.g., mapping, performance, transfer functions, safety, regulatory, etc.), while applying Behavioral Driven Development (BDD) principles.
- Leverage physical (vehicles and benches) and virtual (models and simulations) to establish test cases and acceptance criteria for normal and degraded states of applicable sub-systems.
- Create and maintain Sub-System Technical Specification (SSTS) and Behavioral Test Specifications (BTS) documents for applicable subsystems.
- Create and maintain sub-system specifications in requirements management software (e.g., DOORS, DNG, Markdown, etc.), including Functional Architecture Documents (FADs), and Context Diagrams with the assistance of Global Architecture teams.
- Lead the root cause analysis for all appliable sub-system related issues and translate solutions into new or revised requirements.
- Lead sub-system level FMEAs and collaborate on System and Component FMEAs and manage FMEA processes across applicable subsystems.
- Collaborate with Controls and Software Engineers to review software implementation, ensuring compliance with requirements, and creating/executing Features/Stories in Jira to manage sub-system requirements and specifications.
Your Skills & Abilities (Required Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Computer Science, Mechanical, or related engineering discipline
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in the field of expertise
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills, including independent judgment and decision-making skills, where problems are very unusual and extremely difficult
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members and customers to solve problems and resolve issues
- Physics-based understanding of the Voice-of-Customer
- Ability to effectively communicate issues, status, and recommendations to leadership
- Proven ability in project management skills and ability to teach others
- Ability to prioritize work with only limited direction from manager
What Will Give You A Competitive Edge (Preferred Skills)
- Master’s or PhD in Engineering with an emphasis on Controls
- Experience or knowledge in NACS requirements, architecture, execution, and implementation, including handshaking and communications protocols, diagnostics, coupler technology, and Interoperability concerns and mitigations
- Experience or knowledge in EV customer-facing charging system features including displays, back-office, charge port, and mobile apps
- Experience leveraging simulation environments and plant modeling for testing or requirements generation is a plus (e.g., MATLAB/Simulink, D-Space HIL, SIL, ETAS Inca, etc.)
- Experience with requirements management tools (e.g., DOORS, DNG, Markdown, etc.)
- Experience with change management tools (e.g., Jira, GIT, IBM RTC, etc.)
- Experience with Model Based Systems Engineering and associates SysML Tools (e.g., Rhapsody)
- Experience with Scaled Agile Development (SAFe) process
- Experience with OBD regulations requirements
- Experience with safety critical systems (ISO-26262)
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.