This position will be hybrid. requiring the employee to be onsite an average of 3 days per week.
The Battery Assembly Technical Specialist (TS) is the expert who is responsible for establishing, communicating, and assuring compliance to the global Bill of Process (BOP) and Bill of Equipment (BOE) for battery assembly process.
This role will also drive technology roadmap for battery assemblies. This position requires sound technical knowledge and expertise related to the functional area of responsibility. You will need prior experience and/or knowledge of mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, testing, and manufacturing/production. The TS Translates business objectives, product design intent to actionable work for the work group while leading new processes and methods in line with departmental goals.
Additionally the role provides technical leadership and guides the team to successful execution of battery programs; develops new products, processes, standards, or operational plans in support of the organization's business strategies with a direct impact on business and/or function overall results. You will also influence others within the organization to accept new concepts, practices, and approaches. This position will be based out of the General Motors Global Technical Center in Warren, MI.
What You'll Do (Responsibilities)
- Provides technical support to design responsible and development/validation engineers
- Provide guidance on global regulatory compliance
- Develop Bill of Process (BOP) and Bill of Equipment (BOE) including lessons learned feedback and program deviation evaluations
- Participate as a team member in core technical forums (including PMTs) and component technical reviews on new designs/major redesigns as technical expert to ensure success, and monitor global BOD/BOM/BOP compatibility
- Create/maintain Templates for: Statement of Requirement (SOR), approve SORs for the assigned ME team
- Determine & lead or support Advanced Technical Work (ATW) projects
- Provides technical support to product teams, manufacturing engineering and production facilities.
- Support global supplier technical evaluation and localization process
- Lead team through complicated engineering discussions balancing cost, manufacturing, and quality metrics.
- Serves as a liaison with Advanced Engineering for technical developments
- Participates as a leader or co-leader in the Center of Expertise (COE)
- Participates in the warranty reduction/quality improvement process in order to assure lessons learned are captured and included in global Bill of Design/Bill of Material
Your Skills and Abilities ( Required Experience)
- 5+ years of professional battery assembly manufacturing experience
- Battery Assembly Design & Manufacturing Process for new products
- High Volume production system (>100k units/yr)
- Cylindrical and/or Prismatic and/or Pouch architectures
- Proficient in PFMEA/DFMEA/Process Control Plans
- Proficient in GD&T
- Design for Assembly Expertise
- Material Dispense 2K/1K/spray
- Welding: plastic / ultrasonic / Laser
- Potting / expandable foam
- B.S. degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
What Will Give You a Competitive Advantage (Preferred Qualifications)
- Master’s degree in Engineering
- Experience in developing new processes for new battery products
- Two+ battery programs launch experience
- Frequent interface with product engineering teams
- Expert in problem solving – DFSS / Red X certified
- Own patents relating to product design and process development
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.