In this role you will be accountable for facility electrical system condition assessments regarding safety, compliance with applicable codes, and ability to support the manufacturing process. You will be responsible for forecasting, planning, and executing sustainment projects and maintenance activities pertaining to facility electrical systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and drive successful planning and execution of the General Motors Workplace Safety System including but not limited to administration of the Safety Contract Management program, safety observation tours, employee safety concerns, incident investigation, safety performance standard compliance, and compliance of all facilities electrical systems to applicable GM engineering standards and external codes. Monitor and review all facilities electrical system changes for compliance to appropriate codes and standards following the management of change process.
- Serve as an engineering resource and technical liaison for all facility related electrical systems.
- Function as the Electrical Safe Work Practices champion for the facility.
- Maintain site electrical system condition status in the General Motors asset database
- Prepare business case analysis for proposed facility projects. This includes defining the project objectives (safety, regulatory, production sustainment, etc.), estimating costs, performing risk assessments, and forecasting schedules. Ensure all facility related projects support operational considerations with respect to maintainability, reliability, cost to maintain, and support organizational safety and productivity objectives.
- Manage all elements of facilities maintenance projects including but not limited to bid document preparation, procurement, planning, safety management, code compliance, permitting, adherence to schedule, coordination with all applicable internal and external functional entities, budget performance, invoicing, maintenance deliverables, drawing archival, etc.
- Serve as an engineering resource and technical liaison for all facility related electrical systems, supporting plant & facilities maintenance with issues throughout the site. Electrical systems include but are not limited to power distribution, lighting, UPS systems, building alarm systems, camera systems, controlled access systems, energy management systems, and HVAC system control and monitoring.
- Execute all site power distribution system maintenance per General Motors engineering and safety system standards, applicable codes and regulations, and industry best practices.
- Support implementation of production system projects. Provide input in early stages of production system projects to ensure electrical building systems support the production system requirements.
- Stay current in your field of expertise in facility technologies and processes including but not limited to codes and regulations, building technologies, energy and building management systems, best practices, and certifications.
- Ensure all facility electrical system drawings for the site are current and accurate. This includes but is not limited to revising construction documents to “as-built” conditions, coordinating with the appropriate personnel for updating master files and archiving projects as required.
- Support auditing, monitoring, inspection, and maintenance performed on facility related electrical systems.
- Support all facility shutdown events including planned and unplanned utility interruptions. This includes but is not limited to supporting emergency response plans, disaster recovery plans, and business resumption and continuity processes. Be readily available to respond in emergency situations and communicate status per the defined escalation procedure.
- Provide primary electrical substation operation support as the interface between plant and utility company management. Maintain strong utility company interface and coordination regarding consistent service, scheduled and non-scheduled disruptions.
- Support and drive successful planning and execution of all Global Manufacturing System principles and elements.
- Support and assist in the successful execution of GM sponsored programs including but not limited to suggestion programs, recognition, special events, tours, and community outreach.
- Adhere and comply to all internal control policies including but not limited to training, access control, and onboarding and off boarding procedures.
- Support energy consumption reduction initiatives. Provide technical and operational analysis of energy related problems and develop and execute solutions.
- Communicate with the site personnel and corporate staff to ensure understanding and support of operational metrics, energy conservation initiatives, project implementation status and utility issues.
- Communicate with internal and external customers regarding utilities operational issues.
- Interface with UAW and comply with the local and national labor agreements.
- Guide, train, support and direct the activities of 3rd party service agreement employees.
- Conduct and/or arrange required training for hourly and salaried personnel.
- Interface with GM Audit Services and Legal Staff, as required.
- BS Electrical Engineering (MS/professional certifications preferred) or equivalent training or experience.
- Technical aptitude for maintenance, and operation of industrial building electrical systems
- Experience in planning, engineering, and execution of industrial building electrical system projects
- Knowledge of energy systems, including low and medium voltage power distribution.
- High level of analytical skills to evaluate and resolve operational problems.
- High level of administrative and organizational skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others and motivate employees. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- High level of negotiating skills to resolve issues with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to manage complex projects with multiple suppliers, contractors or other GM units within budget and schedule.
- Ability to maintain a strong working relationship with other GM staffs.
- Computer skills including competency in office software and electronic information systems.
This role is categorized as onsite. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to Fairfax on a full-time basis.
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR ROLS.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.