As a member of GM's Human Resources team, you will assist assigned business functions in day-to-day HR and LR activities and provide direction and leadership that aligns and supports our objectives, mission and culture. You will partner strategically with assigned functional business leaders to improve working relationships, develop and enforce contractual terms and agreements, build engagement, increase output, attract, and retain talent, including collaborating with COEs relative to strategic workforce planning.
- Assist in administering the provisions of agreements between union and management
- Advise management and other plant personnel on matters related to Union-Management relationships, and contractual provisions
- Maintain records pertinent to Labor Relations
- Assist in local negotiations preparation; partnering with operations to identify strategic initiatives that drive competitiveness while focus on the employee experience
- Coordinate the activities of various departments involved in resolving employee grievances
- Assist in organizing information for cases relative to Management’s position within the grievance procedure
- Participate in special investigations as needed
- Coordinate with plant and unit management on matters concerning hourly team members
- Provide guidance and resolution to conflicts
- Analyze data on grievance trends and present findings to HR/LR organization/business unit leaders
- Assist in ensuring the proper manpower for the plant is maintained and assigned; actively monitoring attrition, retention, and forecasting utilizing data analytics to drive decisions
- Advise Management, Union and hourly employees on seniority issues
- Provide some guidance within general policies and procedures established by agreements; direct guidance is received from supervisor
- Frequent involvement with other work groups (i.e., Benefits, Payroll, IT, National Employment Placement Center, Sedgwick, etc.) regarding employee issues, downstream data problems, or other pertinent matters)
- Ensure data integrity within Workday for workforce as needed
Salaried Human Resources:
- Influence the strategic agenda of the organization by building relationships at all levels to ensure HR strategy is cascaded and integrated into business strategy
- Work with Sector HR Business Partner to ensure successful completion of Sector and Global Manufacturing initiatives
- Assist in Development of content for content HRM meetings
- Assist with compensation planning and administration activities
- Interpret human resources management policies and procedures and engage subject matter expert contacts as needed for support.
- Counsel/coach leaders and employees on various matters
- Provide support for internal investigations and Awareline complaints
- Support onboarding activities for salaried new hires
- Ensure human resource transactions are processed accurately and in a timely manner utilizing HR systems.
- Serve as contact for student interns
- Complete HR special projects/assignments as requested.
- Utilize data analytics to drive decisions to move the business forward, relative to talent, staffing strategies, etc.
- Guide and support employee engagement through Workplace of Choice initiatives
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational, and project management skills
- Interpersonal skills in facilitation, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Proven ability to work independently, take initiative, and work to plan
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to learn HR Systems and computer software application skills (i.e., Workday, Excel, Kronos, Ethicspoint, etc.)
- Proficient with Data Analysis, and possess strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Foundational knowledge of a wide range of HR practice areas.
Education and/or Training
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and experience
- Strong and effective interpersonal skills in facilitation, coaching others, negotiation, and conflict resolution.
- Strong and proficient data analytics, process analytics, organizational and project management skills.
- Competencies: Influencing without Authority, Managerial Courage, Action Oriented, Comfort around Higher Management, and Dealing with Ambiguity.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Prior human resources or labor relations experience in a unionized manufacturing organization is preferred.
**This position will require periodic off-shift work **
Onsite: Position requires an employee to be onsite on a full-time basis.
GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.