Sponsorship: GM DOES NOT PROVIDE IMMIGRATION-RELATED SPONSORSHIP FOR THIS ROLE. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU WILL NEED GM IMMIGRATION SPONSORSHIP (e.g., H-1B, TN, STEM OPT, etc.) NOW OR IN THE FUTURE.
Work Arrangement: This role is categorized as hybrid. This means the successful candidate is expected to report to GM Global Technical Center in Warren, MI three times per week, at minimum.
Strategy & Global Portfolio Planning is responsible for creating GM’s Global Vehicle, Propulsion, and Technology plans as we work to achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion. Our approach combines a deep understanding of customer needs and desires, with societal, market, and industry trends, as well as a vision for new possibilities for the transportation industry.
Intern opportunities include:
Global Market Research
· Engage with internal clients to develop a deep understanding of the customer needs/desires, the societal/technology trends, and the marketplace forces crafting the future of mobility, to build exciting and innovative vehicles/services, and effectively market them around the globe
Global Advanced Portfolio Planning
· Guide development of future strategic products including new vehicle concepts and technologies; guide portfolio concept exploration to align complex and often conflicting business objectives and strategies
Regional Product Planning
· Work closely with the marketing and sales divisions in defined geographies (North America, China, South America, and Other International) to determine the optimal mix of future vehicles and technologies for profitable segment leadership
Global Propulsion Systems Planning
· Guide the development of GM’s powertrain products for market leadership (engines, transmissions, batteries, and electric drive units)
Economics and Forecasting
· Data Science focused work that combines diverse inputs to generate rigorous sales forecasts:
· Experience with scripting languages required (ex: Python, RMachine, or SQL)
Interns within Strategy & Global Portfolio Planning engage in substantive projects – leading exciting initiatives that challenge convention and ignite innovation. The intern’s primary responsibility is to gather, evaluate, synthesize, and analyze multiple data sources associated with their individual project to formulate clear and concise recommendations.
We are seeking individuals who are curious, willing to ask questions, take initiative, and be resourceful as they work on projects involving high levels of complexity and ambiguity. Solid candidates will have strong analytical capability and exceptional skills in both written and oral communication.
Examples of previous intern projects include:
· Via primary consumer research, collaborate with Marketing and Engineering to identify customer-centric needs in vehicle voice communications, interior displays, and future feature innovations
· Analyzing and understanding the underlying economics of ride/vehicle sharing.
· Examination of vehicle segments and determining potential new products relative to customer wants and needs, company growth, and financial objectives.
· Imagining an autonomous world and how that reality will work with respect to infrastructure, connectivity, business models, etc.
· Mining new business through millennial myth-busting to determine what transportation looks like for all generations.
· Pursuit of a Master’s degree in one of the following areas: MBA, Market Research, Economics, Statistics, Industrial/Organization Psychology, or related field
· Must be graduating between August 2024 – December 2026
Student Stipend: GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2024 Student Program.
Pay Transparency: The salary range for this role is $4,800.00 - $7,300.00, dependent upon class status and degree.
Benefits: Benefit options are not available for this role.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.