Note: This position is classified as a Hybrid position, meaning the successful candidate will work at our Markham or Oshawa office an average of three (3) days each week.
GM Canada is seeking an exceptional junior lawyer with proven collaborative skills to join the legal team as Counsel. The successful candidate will have 2-4 years of top-tier private practice or in-house experience handling litigation matters. The individual selected for this role will manage general civil litigation matters, working with external counsel as needed. They will also support our product liability and complex litigation lawyers, our customer care team, and provide guidance and counsel on Quebec small claims matters. The successful candidate will also support the vehicle sales, service, and marketing team advising on contracts and marketing/advertising materials and projects.
The Counsel role will have responsibility for managing multiple projects simultaneously and working effectively across internal functions and businesses. This position is expected to be a key business partner and to contribute to GM Canada’s success by combining both legal and business expertise and understanding the company’s operations and strategic goals.
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Minimum of 2 years of top-tier private practice or in-house experience handling litigation matters
- Superior personal and professional integrity and strong communication skills
- Experience in the automotive, technology or consumer products sector would be an asset but is not a requirement
- Strong preference will be given to candidates having French language proficiency
- GM’s Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs.
- GM’s comprehensive compensation and benefits plan is carefully designed and thoroughly benchmarked against the companies that we compete for talent in the local market .
The goal of the General Motors of Canada total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan currently includes the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and supplemental benefits for pregnancy, parental and adoption leave.
- Healthcare, dental and vision benefits including health care spending account and wellness incentive.
- Life insurance plans to cover you and your family.
- Company and matching contributions to a Defined Contribution Pension plan to help you save for retirement.
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values.
- Tuition Assistance and Employee Assistance Program.
- GM Vehicle Purchase Plan for you, your family and friends.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
Total Rewards | Benefits Overview
From day one, we're looking out for your well-being–at work and at home–so you can focus on realizing your ambitions. Learn how GM supports a rewarding career that rewards you personally by visiting Total Rewards resources.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of unlawful discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications for each role and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities. Applicants in the recruitment process may be required, where applicable, to successfully complete a role-related assessment(s) and/or a pre-employment screening prior to beginning employment. To learn more, visit How we Hire
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (U.S.)
General Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Accommodations (U.S. and Canada)
General Motors offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.